Golden Blonde Irish Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CA_Mouse

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here is an experiment that I did. I bottled it tonight and the initial taste is very nice... Slight citrus/crisp pear/apple (not green apple) very low bitterness and a dry finish. It is a nice golden blonde color.

5.5 gallon batch
OG = 1.048 (a little lower than expected)
FG = 1.008 (a little lower than expected)
ABV = 5.2%

1.00 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -
6 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 54.5 %
5 lbs Premium 2-Row Malt (1.8 SRM) Grain 4 45.5 %
1.00 oz Cascade [4.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 14.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [4.10 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 10.8 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 7 -
1.00 oz Cascade [4.10 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 7.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 9 -
1.0 pkg Irish Ale Yeast (White Labs #WLP004) 1 liter starter used

Let me know what you think.

Mouse

Did you use a mash ton? and or what size boil pot? I am interested to hear the final results after carbonation!

Rich2268

Light-bodied, SRM 4, IBU 32 (from TastyBrew calculator). Considering the Irish ale yeast, sounds like an citrusy English pale ale, which is presumably what you were trying for. Let us know how it turns out when you open a bottle.

I was going for an Irish Blonde with a twist. I prefer the Irish yeast to the English yeasts I've tried. I wanted something light and refreshing, that was not like anything else I have made. I can't wait to see how it tastes after it carbonates.

Mouse

Well it carbonated extremely nicely and has a slightly orange hued golden color. Nose is a little esters and orange with a light malted grapefruit taste that is slightly sweet and dry. Very low hop bitterness. Nice white head that lasts for the entire bottle with light lacing.

For an experimental beer, I am extremely happy with the way this turned out. I will be making this one again.

Mouse

This sounds right up my alley! Ive never used irish yeast. How would you compare it to an English?

I use the Irish yeast for a Sweet Stout that is the favorite of everyone that tries my brews. I like the way that it attenuates and dries out the sugars. The English Ale yeasts that I've tried don't dry out as nicely, but they do impart more of a dark fruit taste where the Irish Ale yeast gives a dry crisp finish.

Mouse

Follow up on this brew... I entered it into my first competition, IEB's 26th Annual Competition. It took 3rd place with 11 entries in the category. Still waiting to get my data sheets, but I'm very pleased that I was able to take a White Ribbon for a completely experimental beer.

Back