Partial Mash Brewing Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mozart

Reaction score
Ok, so I just got done reading the sticky partial mash brewing sticky.

Ok, so I didn't brew it quite the same way, making a number of rookie mistakes that I actually wrote down in my brew notes later so I remember for the next time... but I steeped grain in one smaller pot while heating another to a boil (so the grain could be steeping while my boil water heats, saving time), added the steep water to the brewpot, brought the rest of the way to a boil (since my steep water was cooler than boiling), pulled the main brew pot off flame to add the extract, and hopped through boil according to schedule -- basically, just following the recipe that came with the box of ingredients packaged by my LHBS.

This may seem like a silly question, but what I did was partial mash brewing?

Cheers!

I think you did a extract kit with steeping grains, similar but not a true minimash in witch you use extract, say maybe 6 lb of Lme then you mash something like 4 lb of grain and sparge with a couple quarts of 160F water with a colander.

What kit did you use?

In partial mash you are actually mashing a larger percentage of grain and then adding extract so no, you did an extract kit with steeped grain for flavor and color.

I think you did a extract kit with steeping grains, similar but not a true minimash in witch you use extract, say maybe 6 lb of Lme then you mash something like 4 lb of grain and sparge with a couple quarts of 160F water with a colander.

What kit did you use?

The kit has no commercial name. It was put together by my LHBS. They box the ingredients along with an instruction sheet that they print out themselves and sell it as a 'kit'. What I do know is that I steeped 2 pounds of grain, used 8 pounds of LME (I think, recipe is at home), and used 2 oz. of hops (half for bittering and half for aroma) and the box also contained the yeast (a dry pack of US-05). This was for a 5 gallon batch utilizing a partial boil.

I steeped the grain and the recipe did call for a sparge, at least I think that's the term, I'm still learning them, but basically it involved rising the grain bag with 170 degree water.

Not sure what the difference between a mini mash and an extract kit with steeping grains is. Is it the amount of grain used that determines this?

Cheers!

I think the same. Sounds like what you did was extract with steeping grains kit. Partial mash uses 1-1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain to mash at particular temps as well for an hour. Then sparge with a lesser amount of water,usually 165-168F. I usually use 5-6 pounds of grain with 3 to 3.3 pounds of plain extract. Not 6 or 7lbs. Most produce an average gravity ale or lager in the 1.04X range.
Steeping grains are grains like caramel/crystal,specialty grains that have already been converted. Mashing is when you use a particular amount of grain to water at a particular temp to use the grains enzymes to convert starches in the seeds to simple sugars manually.

Thank you!

It was definitely a kit with steeping grains then. It was only 2 pounds of grain, 1.5 pounds of which were caramel/crystal.

Cheers!

Back