mangrove jacks yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have just started to hear about this yeast in the past couple weeks. cost is a bit higher, but that doesn't bother me too much. More dry yeast variety is a good thing.

I've got an ESB in the fermenter with M79(Burton Union) The hydro sample I tasted yesterday was good, I think they're going to be good.

I rehydrated and had active fermentation on a 6 gal batch of 1050 wort in under an hour.

I also have a sample pack of M07(British Ale) that I will be using in a brew that I normally do with Notingham to compare.

Exactly according to the instructions in their booklet.

Add yeast to 3.4fl.oz(100ml) water at 86-95f(30-35C) except the bohemian Lager which wants to be a fair bit cooler, 68-77f(20-25C)

Bottled my first ESB that I brewed with the MJ Burton Union over the weekend. I deliberately fermented a bit warmer than i normally would. The recomended temp for the M79 is 62-74f(18-23C) where I normally do my ESB with nottingham at around 59f(15C)
So i let it sit at room temp which this time of year for us is mid to low 60's.

It took a good long while to do it's thing, just shy of three weeks to reach FG, but reach FG it did. Went from 1050 to 1012. Left it for a 4th week and bottled it.

The FG sample I took on Saturday to confirm the 1012 had no dicernable off flavours and is arguably the best partial mash ESB I have made to date.

JohanMK1, did you use the manufacturers rehydration instructions or how did you rehydrate?

I just brewed a blonde ale with their west coast yeast. I followed their rehydration instructions as well. It was slower to start than I'm used too. I saw signs of fermentation within 24 hrs, but it didn't really get going until 2 days after pitching. With liquid yeast and a starter, I usually have a vigorous fermentation within 12 hrs. Anyway, It's been a week and It's still bubbling. I'm planning on taking a gravity sample to see where I'm at.

Bohemian Lager M84:
I brewed an all grain bopils on 5-31, rehydrated and pitched 2 packs of Bohemian Lager into 6gals of 1.050 wort at 50F. 36hrs later with no activity, I let the temp rise to 57F. At 55hrs post-pitch, it started slowly moving the airlock and I dropped the chamber temp to 55F.

At 80 hrs it had a small krausen and fair airlock activity.

5 days post-pitch it is fermenting well at 55F and has a pleasant odor, krausen ring pushed up 3/4" from the fermenting beer at some point.

I'll give tasting notes ASAP. I build water from RO with minimal mineral additions (3G CACl2 each mash/sparge in this batch)and control mash pH with acid malt, sparge pH with phosphoric acid as measured with a pH meter, so I should have a decent objective opinion on this yeast when it's finished.

West coast ale used in an rye amber ale....side by side comparison with us 05. We shall see. I can say that the mangrove jacks was a slow starter but when it got going it was more vigorous than the safeale. These were temperature controlled ferments at 65 f raised to 68 as ferment slowed.

I will be kegging next week and drinking shortly after that. I will post my results.

I checked the gravity after 7 days, and it was down to 1.010 from 1.046. Decent attenuation. I'll be kegging this week. We'll see how it tastes.

West coast ale used in an rye amber ale....side by side comparison with us 05. We shall see. I can say that the mangrove jacks was a slow starter but when it got going it was more vigorous than the safeale. These were temperature controlled ferments at 65 f raised to 68 as ferment slowed.

I will be kegging next week and drinking shortly after that. I will post my results.

Quoting myself here. There is little to no difference me or my buddies can discern. M44 might be a tad drier and it seemed to floc faster in the keg. Gravity reading are too close to tell a difference. Do I prefer the m44 beer? Yes. Why, I'm not sure.

Just tasted my blonde ale brewed with M-44, and it's very clean. Works as advertised. Good attenuation. Good Clarity, although I did cold crash and add gelatin to the keg. I fermented around 66-67F, and after a week, went up to 72. Hop aroma and flavor comes through well. I would like to brew again with it and pitch an entire pack to see if it takes off faster.

Bottled/kegged my 6gals of BoPils fermented with the M84 yeast today-- 5gals to the keg, 2L into a Sprite bottle(for my carbonator cap), and 3 bombers with 3.5G of sucrose in each.

I had my doubts about this yeast post-ferm. It was very hazy and didn't clear at all during the d-rest, tasted strongly of lager yeast and strangely, pineapple. I let it sit for ~4days at room temp for the d-rest, then started dropping temp 5deg F per day all the way down to 31.5F, then let it sit there for 5 days. Was going to rack to secondary today with gel but it had dropped clear from the cold temps so I packaged it.

The pre-carbed beer has a very nice flavor, definitely lager yeast, definitely Czech, definitely not W34/70(not as bland) and very most definitely not S-23(not as fruity).

I harvested the yeast for re-use and must say it is extremely dusty/powdery and I lost a bit to the last bottle--the 2L Sprite bottle. Overall, I'm quite pleased with it so far and think the beer will be nice post-lagering/conditioning. It had me worried when it was so hazy, but that was just due to it being so powdery.

Attenuation was 72%, went from OG of 1.050 to 1.014 with a step infusion of 131F/30mins, 144F/20mins, 162F/30mins.

I'll ferment 2 more batches with the harvested yeast and keep ya'll updated as this one ages. Cheers!

There are multiple threads on these yeast going on so I will post what I posted earlier about the Belgian Ale yeast I used from Mangrove:

Used the Belgian strain in a Wit and like Stytuned, I also got 99% attenuation. It went from 1.058 to 1.003 in 3 days at 85 degrees, checked it a week later and it was at 1.001.

I am not very impressed with the flavor at this point. It has a Belgian character to it but its just too dry and really out of balance. I will add some maltodextrin back at kegging and try to bring it up to 1.008 and see if that improves the overall feel (impression) of the beer.

I have to email these guys and see why this yeast is eating everything in its path, it kinda cool bit at the same time its not.

We have the Burton Union fermenting a Scotch Ale this week I will report back when its finished. It's taken some time to get going ~ 30hrs but I wont let that sway me until I taste a finished product.

let us Know. Thanks. QUOTE=Steelers77;5297229]There are multiple threads on these yeast going on so I will post what I posted earlier about the Belgian Ale yeast I used from Mangrove:

Used the Belgian strain in a Wit and like Stytuned, I also got 99% attenuation. It went from 1.058 to 1.003 in 3 days at 85 degrees, checked it a week later and it was at 1.001.

I am not very impressed with the flavor at this point. It has a Belgian character to it but its just too dry and really out of balance. I will add some maltodextrin back at kegging and try to bring it up to 1.008 and see if that improves the overall feel (impression) of the beer.

I have to email these guys and see why this yeast is eating everything in its path, it kinda cool bit at the same time its not.

We have the Burton Union fermenting a Scotch Ale this week I will report back when its finished. It's taken some time to get going ~ 30hrs but I wont let that sway me until I taste a finished product.[/QUOTE]

I pitched ~200ml of 1 week old washed M84 into a German lager on Sunday. It's chugging along nicely at 53F as of this AM. I step mashed this one at 131/140/158F for 30 mins each rest to try and dry it out.

The lagering Bopils I brewed with it tastes great. I'm pleased with this yeast and will continue to use it.

The Scotch Ale with the Burton Union is very nice. Wonderful esters up front with a nice malty finish, I like this yeast! We are letting it sit on the yeast another week to see if it cleans it up a bit (no needed we just want to see what happens). I will brew more British Ales with this yeast to test it more.

finally tried out some of their yeast myself. I put m07 english ale yeast in my ipa. I'm fermenting at around 21oC. started at 1.053, krausen in less than 24 hours. its day 4 in primary and its down to 1.008! hope it stops there! not sure if i can really tell yet because its still green and there's a lot of hops in it, but my hydrometer sample tastes fairly clean, nowhere near lager like but a very clean ale.

I brewed a Barleywine about a month ago and did a small beer with the second runnings. I used the Mangrove Newcastle Dark Ale Yeast. I was very happy with the beer... very soft malt profile. I would use it again happily.

Brewed a ryePA last Friday, pitched rehydrated M44 (though I did find the manufacturer's instructions after the fact and DOS so at a warmer temp than the instructions said), and I also under pitched because I over shot my gravity (070). I was not surprised that it was a slow start but was going within 18 hrs at 20 C. What did surprise me was the gravity reading today of 009! It better stop there, if it drops any lower tomorrow I will be forced to could crash early.

Brewed a ryePA last Friday, pitched rehydrated M44 (though I did find the manufacturer's instructions after the fact and DOS so at a warmer temp than the instructions said), and I also under pitched because I over shot my gravity (070). I was not surprised that it was a slow start but was going within 18 hrs at 20 C. What did surprise me was the gravity reading today of 009! It better stop there, if it drops any lower tomorrow I will be forced to could crash early.

My ipa has surprisingly dropped from 1.053 to 1.008 in 5 days and it looks like it's still slowly going. I wonder if I should cold crash now. although I have dry hops in only a few days, i'd planned on giving them a week at least.

I used the Burton Union strain from them on a 1.045 pale ale and although the yeast claims "high" flocculation, I have the opposite happened. The beer after a month fermenting and a week in the keg is still extremely cloudy, cloudier than any beer I've brewed and has a very strong yeasty/bready flavor that's not very appealing. Pretty unhappy with the yeast so far but am hoping another few weeks in the keg will clear it out. Attenuation was right in range, the beer was dry hopped with a few oz's and I get no aroma from it, just yeast.

Just to add a couple data points on Mangrove Jack lag time:
-British Ale M07; rehydrated; 1.047 wort, 5.25 gallons, pure O2; 18 hour lag time at ~63F
-US West Coast M44; rehydrated; 1.058 wort, 5.15 gallons, pure O2; 36 hour lag time at ~63F

Sadly, they're both still in fermenters so no tasting notes just yet. I'm not digging the seemingly long lag time though. I'm sensing that there is no where near 200 billion yeast per sachet; probably more like half that (100b) since these lag times are similar to what I remember experiencing when using single vials of white labs (no starter).

Used M10 workhorse in a simple 1.050 Germanic-style ale; 3# pils DME, 1# amber DME, 0.5# cara-vienne. Tried the workhorse because people said it was clean, even at higher than normal temps (packaging says up to 90 or something like that).

It wasn't. It's effin' gross. Sprinkled directly onto 70F wort, oxygenated with pure O2, then fermented at 73-76F. 2 days to start, hit FG on day 5.

Tastes like acetaldehyde, bubble gum and a hint of terrible.

I was looking for a go-to yeast to do spring and fall ferments when's ferm chamber was doing a lager, but no. Since I know I can get clean tastes with Notty at 60 in my ferm. chamber, I will just have to schedule better, and won't be using this yeast again.

Used M10 workhorse in a simple 1.050 Germanic-style ale; 3# pils DME, 1# amber DME, 0.5# cara-vienne. Tried the workhorse because people said it was clean, even at higher than normal temps (packaging says up to 90 or something like that).

It wasn't. It's effin' gross. Sprinkled directly onto 70F wort, oxygenated with pure O2, then fermented at 73-76F. 2 days to start, hit FG on day 5.

Tastes like acetaldehyde, bubble gum and a hint of terrible.

I was looking for a go-to yeast to do spring and fall ferments when's ferm chamber was doing a lager, but no. Since I know I can get clean tastes with Notty at 60 in my ferm. chamber, I will just have to schedule better, and won't be using this yeast again.

That's a bummer because I've got a sachet of that in my fridge :drunk:. I guess I'll shoot for a cool ferment with it since the warm ferment produced what sounds like poor results.

I'll vouch for Burton Union. Just last night I had the first IPA I made with it, and before that, I finished a mini-keg of brown. Both had the English esters I was looking for, the yeast took both beers down from the mid 1.050's to below 1.010, cleared right up. The IPA needs to mellow in the fridge for a week or two, but the brown was quick, ready to drink 2 weeks after brewing.

That's encouraging roastquake. I've got an ESB lined up that will use Burton Union. Do you know what your fermentation temps were like? I was thinking the traditional pitch at 64F let rise to 68F for a day or two and cool back to 64F.

It got kind of hot the first day on the brown (73F) but was able to use ice to cool it down to 70F for the rest of the fermentation. The IPA was a steady 70F. I've been a caveman with my temp control, I know, but I just got my temp controller yesterday. The next step is to get a cheap(ish) chest freezer and after that it should be smooth sailing.

Fermentation was over quick, probably from being hot. But it's no worries, those where British ales, I bottled/kegged pretty quick (7 day primary) to get some buttery flavors from diacetyl

Edit: you'll do better at 68F I'm sure

Good to know. I'll certainly post back my experience when I get around to this one. I'm kind of cavemanish with my temp control at the moment as well; basically a swamp cooler and manual adjustments to keep it in range. I rarely can dial in a specific temp but I can keep within a few degrees range (e.g. 63-66F for US West Coast) but I've been happy with the results thus far.

I was thinking the traditional pitch at 64F let rise to 68F for a day or two and cool back to 64F.

Mine seem to do this on their own - apparently more exothermic during the lag phase. But I'm not familiar with doing it intentionally. Is there some advantage to letting the temp rise for a day?

Basically a process I've picked up reading through the british beer thread on this forum and listening to some of Jamil Zainasheff's podcasts on the brewing network. Granted, this kind of process can't hold true for every english strain but it seems like some desirable characteristics are created using this process on several english yeast strains. The advantage I guess would be proper amount and characteristics of ester formation.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/b...on-temps-profiles-cybi-other-thoughts-221817/

I pitched M-10 at 60°, started within 12 hrs. Has been sitting at a constant 60°, still bubbly away. Will update with taste test in a few weeks.

That's a bummer because I've got a sachet of that in my fridge :drunk:. I guess I'll shoot for a cool ferment with it since the warm ferment produced what sounds like poor results.

Itsnfine in the lower 60s. I made a cream ale with this and it took a month of cold conditioning to get smooth

I have a finished Great Lakes Brewing 'Nosferatu' clone attempt that I fermented with 2 packs of M10 (Workhorse.) I think I had a crush issue, so my OG was really low and my FG was a little high. Only been in the keg about a week, but tastes pretty clean.

Currently going: Smoked brown ale with M03 (Newcastle Dark Ale), and a cider with M02 (Cider). Gonna brew a faux-Vienna next week with M44 (US West Coast). Rumor has it the M44 is the Pacman strain.

I doubt I'll sway from US-05 for most of my non-Belgian beers, but I wouldn't mind being pleasantly surprised.

I prefer the M44 to US05 in the one go I've given it. It's not miles away (fairly neutral, hop forwards, dry-ish finish) but just floculates so well...

I pitched M-10 at 60°, started within 12 hrs. Has been sitting at a constant 60°, still bubbly away. Will update with taste test in a few weeks.
I kegged this last night; OG was 1.049, FG: 1.012. Hydro sample tasted clean. :ban:

Latest posts

Back