Big Ol' Hefer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xcesthrust

Reaction score
First off I am very new to homebrewing, I've only brewed one TrueBrew kit. For my second brew ever I tried to make a recipe up by tweaking a recipe on brewtoad for a strong hefeweizen. It's ended up a bit too strong with an OG of 1.092… I didn't use a yeast starter and I'm going out of town tomorrow morning for 5 days so I'm worried about it stalling out while I'm away. Is it going to be a dud, is there hope, is this ridiculous, should I do something before I leave? I have no yeast at home except the cooking variety

As long as you got yeast in there after cooling all you can really do at this point is wait and see. I think it will be fine. Might have slight off flavors from under pitching into a high gravity wort. But if nothing else you still made beer. Imperial Hefe perhaps???

Perhaps I'll change the name to "Holy Cow Imperial Hefer"! Thanks for the input; if it turns out well I'll put the recipe up.

I was able to cool it to about 72 before pitching the yeast and have it set up in my new fancy Craigslist refrigerator/controller combo so I'm happy.

Latest posts

Back