Hop filters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Demus

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm trying to get some better techniques for filtering out hops as I've got an appetite for IPA's lately. I was using a colander suspended above my 10 gallon kettle with great success. Flameout, remove colander, chill. I chill with a plate chiller pump setup but because I live in Florida have to recurculate it for a while before pumping straight to fermenter. Prior to my colander setup I was having issues clogging my chiller. I also have a tube screen on the inside of my kettle for backup. With an IPA and pellet hops, there's enough hops bits/sludge that make it through the colander to clog the intake screen slowing the pump, and the chilling process. There's got to be a better way! Any ideas/input from folks using a similar setup? I just bought a 15 gallon pot but haven't drilled the hole for the valve yet so I'm flexible if someone has a better way. I'd really like a setup where I can just put the hops right in the kettle and not worry about them clogging anything, but I guess I might be dreaming! Help!!!

I use a hop spider and hop filter bag most of the time. Got it from stainless brewing. Works pretty well.

They sell a hopblocker product - although that seems to work better with no recirc.

Some people do a false bottom w/lea hops in the brew kettle.

Whirlpool with side dip tube is another option.

Hop back with leaf hops in it.

In line hops filter like the one from brewers hardware (brewing hardware?) - gotcha with this one is the tri-clamp fittings.

If you look at my post history, there are also a few suggestions folks made for me a year or so back on commercial filters vs DIY.

You can find info on most of this stuff if Li search the site.

I'm doing the same thing but with a pain strainer bag. It lets you stir the hops well. I'm using 15 gallon keggels.

IMG_20130602_143733_328.jpg

I like your approach. Is that from a crab pot to some other fryer cooker? Also how do you suspend it in your Keggle?

Yes, good eye, that is a crab pot or a perforated basket for big pot cooking. Their are 4 bolts on each side of the basket that keep it from dropping in the pot. You can see them under the paint strainer bag if you look hard. If I were to buy another basket I would get a 10 inch one so I could see the boil better. But I do like the wide'ness of it so I can stir the hops around. I like picking the basket up and draining it, to mix the wort/hops around like a tea bag.

Latest posts

Back