Necessary to strain as much hops out as possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rugrad02

Reaction score
I am in the process of brewing a lambic and haven't been able to find an answer on hop filtration at the homebrew level specificallyfor lambics. How necessary would it be to strain the wort of as much of the hop particles as possible before going into my carboy. Any effects on not doing so for the long term of fermentation? Thanks. Oh, and they are aged hops.

When I'm brewing a lambic-type beer that will ferment/age in primary for 1-2 years, I’m a bit more vigilant than usual about preventing hops/trub from getting into the fermentor. I doubt it is a big deal, but it makes me feel better.

I was at a brewpub known for their sour beers. They’d dry hopped one of their sour beers in the barrel, been too lazy to remove the swelled hop sock, and just continued to ferment beers on top of it, didn’t seem to have caused any issues a few beers later.

Latest posts

Back