Perlick 525SS vs 545PC Faucets - I can not decide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fordzilla

Reaction score
I am assembling my keezer currently. So far I have purchased the freezer and 5 cornies. (I still have to hunt down a sixth somewhere.) I know I want stainless shanks, and I did want stainless 525SS faucets.

However, my cousin almost has me sold on the 545PC faucets. He says they save from having to add a bunch of beer line and try to figure out how much beer line you need to "balance" the foam. Sounds great, because I have never kegged before but that sounds like a pain. I would jump on them if they were stainless.

I'm having a hard time justifying paying $45 for chrome plated flow control when the stainless non-flow control are $35, and will last forever. I really wanted to go all stainless, buy it once and have it forever.

I know there have been threads on this before, but I am really torn. Help!

I'd go stainless. I've picked up some chrome faucets when people were getting rid of gear, and seeing the insides all discolored turned me off from ever using chrome.

It's not a pain to properly balance the lines. Just get more beer line than you think you'll need (say 12 feet of 3/16" ID vinyl tubing per tap) and enjoy foam free pours. If it's pouring too slow for you, trim the line down a little bit. The line is cheap and it's worth it to get the stainless faucets.

Is it necessary to vary the line length by beer style, or do you just put on a bunch of line and that takes care of it? If adjustments need to be made as frequently as every beer style, I do like the idea of being able to adjust on the fly without messing with adding and removing line.

No, it's not necessary. Just get lines that are longer than you think you'll need. It's been said many times, but the only downside of longer lines is a slow pour. Since you aren't running a bar, your profit margin doesn't depend on serving X beers per hour. So you want a nice slow foam free pour. You can always trim the lines a little, but 10-12 feet of standard tubing should be fine for 3 volumes of CO2.

Back