Igloo cooler on wheels for primary fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDJay

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recall a thread that discussed/illustrated using a 60 quart Igloo cooler for holding carboy to optimize temp control during primary. Can't find thread despite scrolling/search for an hour, so I am appealing for help. My basement is 64 degrees, and I want to brew a heffeweisen in low 70's to bring out more banana flavors.

Fill the cooler with water, put in your fermenter in there, and use an aquarium heater to keep the temp up.

I do it all the time when my basement is cool and I want to brew a Saison or another brew that needs higher temps.

This is the one I use. 150 watt.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003C5TMU4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I can heat it up to 88 degrees in a 60 degree basement. Hold temp to within +/- 1/2 degree.

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked at the 60 qt cooler at Walmart, and it looked like the contour of the bottom would not allow the carboy to sit flat. The "bulge" from the axle of the wheels bulges out.I didn't have a tape measure, of course.

Latest posts

Back