Busted thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinlassen

chefkevshomebrew
Reaction score
image-3423807217.jpg

My thermometer busted during my cool down. Not a happy camper.

Man, that is unfortunate. I always cringe when beer gets dumped. Out of curiosity, was it a kit, or a recipe you have? I've been looking for a tried as true smoked porter that a buddy has been begging for.

That blows!!! On the bright side u get to brew again! **** sucks man! Sorry to hear about your loss. Cheers

My very first batch ever, I broke my thermometer into the strike water as I was heating it up. Dumped it and started over. When I was at my nephew's in February helping him brew, he busted his at the same time. Started over. No more glass thermometers for me!

freisste said:
Man, that is unfortunate. I always cringe when beer gets dumped. Out of curiosity, was it a kit, or a recipe you have? I've been looking for a tried as true smoked porter that a buddy has been begging for.

Recipe from my brew shop

derbycitybrewer said:
That blows!!! On the bright side u get to brew again! **** sucks man! Sorry to hear about your loss. Cheers

Thanks. Yea it blows. I'm sulking in 4 fingers of bourbon. I'll be okay.
Live to brew another day.

I have killed 3 thermometers already. Some break hydrometers, I cant seem to keep a thermometer alive. Hence why I always keep a spare in the brew-drawer. I have started keeping a tall plastic tub of sanitizer within reaching distance to set the thermometer in when not in use. Makes it harder to break. I am sure I will manage it though.

Sorry for the loss of wort.

Bought a floating thermometer over the winter. Fired up my new keggles in April to give them a trial run. Filled them up, dropped the thermometer in and PLUNK. Smashed the bottom out of it. Figured floating thermometer would FLOAT. nope this thing dropped like a rock and shattered the bottom. Happy it was during a trial run to just check my boil off rate. If I lost a full batch i'd have been PISSED.

Pratzie said:
Bought a floating thermometer over the winter. Fired up my new keggles in April to give them a trial run. Filled them up, dropped the thermometer in and PLUNK. Smashed the bottom out of it. Figured floating thermometer would FLOAT. nope this thing dropped like a rock and shattered the bottom. Happy it was during a trial run to just check my boil off rate. If I lost a full batch i'd have been PISSED.

That sucks! But at the same time hilarious! I bet your face was priceless when it dropped.

Latest posts

Back