Modifications to kit IPA in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamazon

Reaction score
Hi everyone! New brewer here. I've brewed a kit of the Brewers' Best IPA and found it fairly tasty. What I'd like to do is as follows, and I want to see if it sounds insane or not, and if not, what kinds of options I have:

I want to get another 5-gallon kit of this, and brew it all together in the primary.

Then, I want to split it into gallon batches in secondary, and do variations.

I've heard about dry-hopping; one thought is to dry-hop each batch with a different single hop variety and see what comes out. However, I'd also like to try other things - double IPA, smoked, fruited, things of that nature. Are such things possible in the secondary, and if so, how?

Thanks, all! Glad to be here!

It would be hard to turn an IPA into a double IPA in the fermenter. You can add fermentables but you would not have the added bitterness and flavor you get from upping the hop additions in the boil. You can certainly add fruit or things like oak in the secondary. Another thing you might consider besides dry hopping with different hops would be pitching different yeast strains. That would be a great way to learn the profiles of the different yeasts.

Latest posts

Back