i think i'm finally getting some cones!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawbrewing

Reaction score
planted some centennial hops, first year nothing happened, the rhizome hardly even came up out of the ground, second year i got some decent vine growth, but still not a lot, maybe 5-10 feet, no cones at all, this is the third year, and they are much longer, maybe around 20 feet, a lot heartier and thicker looking, and i'm getting lots of what i believe are the start of cones. everybody always said it took 3 years most of the time, i was starting to doubt i'd ever get any cones.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1013771_4883643730586_1206755409_n.jpg

i haven't done jack **** to them honestly. i put them in the ground, put up some ropes for them to grow up the side of my shed, and that's it. i do know they get plenty of sun, they face the east, so they get all the morning sun on them, but other than putting them in the ground, i've done absolutely nothing to them.

you should consider giving them some fertilizer. it is possible that they haven't produced because your soil is poor. they've essentially been too starved to produce flowers. just get some 5-5-5 miracle grow (or 10-10-10, or whatever) and follow the directions - but don't go full strength, make it a little weaker. buy the ladies a drink.

Back