Huge Road Trip: Where should I stop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone! I have quite a list developing. I definitely plan on stopping at John's grocery, and probably bennies liquor. Probably have lunch one day at 3 Floyd's.

Keep the suggestions coming!

It's Binnys lol. Be careful taking spelling advice from a guy who spells liquor liqure

Most of the route in Arkansas looks like "dry county hell". I'm not sure about Oklahoma. There isn't much in southern Illinois, but if you go to St. Louis there is Schafly Brewing and that's great.

We drive every year through southern Illinois and across Arkansas, and there are mostly dry areas surrounded by nuthin'.

I love to travel, but most of the states you're traveling through aren't known for beer or breweries. If you go a wee bit north, you can hit Minneapolis (awesome for beer), and Milwaukee, Madison (New Glarus), Wisconsin.

+1 New Glarus is not far over the state line and is like the Willy Wonka factory of beer. Then you could cut over to Milwaukee before dipping down to Three Floyds.

If travelling that close to Mississippi, keep an eye out for Lazy Magnolia's Timber Beast Rye IPA; it is awesome and probably available at The Flying Saucer in Memphis. Also I suggest trying Diamond Bear Two Term IPA from Arkansas. Neither are cellar beers, but hey who doesn't need a good 9% IPA for the highway?

UPDATE!

Decided to update this thread since we have our official route selected. Wanted to get some late suggestions to see if I've missed anything. THE ROUTE CAN NOT CHANGE so your suggestions need to be for beers I will find in that area. And again, I'm not looking for breweries to stop at but am looking for suggestions of beer I should find/buy at liquor stores along the way. Here is the updated route:

ScreenShot2013-05-08at44135PM_zpsd4181f81.png
[/URL]

We start in my home town (Petaluma) which is located by San Francisco. We then stop at Declo, ID to stay with some friends. Then a short stay in Jackson, WY before staying at Yellowstone for a few nights, then stopping to see Mt. Rushmore. Our next and longest stop is in Crown Point IN. Crown Point is very close to Munster and I'm gonna try and stop at Three Floyds. We then travel to Memphis, TN. I plan on stopping at Binny's Liquor in Champaign, IL to look for brews. I also want to try and stop at Johns Grocery before leaving the Crown Point/Chicago Area. We stay in Memphis for a few days before the long trek to the Grand Canyon. After that it's back home.

Here are items I already know I will be looking for:

New Glarus
Three Floyds
La Cumbre
Marble
Great Lakes
Founders
Ale Asylum
Pipeworks
Two Brothers
Schlafly
Nebraska Brewing

So, looking for more suggestions and must get brews if I can find them! Thanks for any and all help!

New Glarus
Three Floyds
La Cumbre
Marble
Great Lakes
Founders
Ale Asylum
Pipeworks
Two Brothers
Schlafly
Nebraska Brewing

So, looking for more suggestions and must get brews if I can find them! Thanks for any and all help!

Also look for Revolution while you're in Chicago. Their Anti-Hero IPA is outstanding IMO. Pipeworks makes some incredible beers... and some mediocre ones. One to make sure to grab is Blood of the Unicorn. I would skip Two Brothers altogether, but that's just me. Otherwise it looks like you'll have one hell of a trip. Enjoy!

Bump. Anymore suggestions before I let this thread slip into the deepest, darkest unknowns of the HBT forum?

Snake River and Big Sky make some pretty good beers, especially their IPAs, that you should be able to easily find in Jackson, WY. Snake River is in Jackson and a great place to have dinner, if possible. Their Pako's IPA won a gold, I think, at a recent GABF.

I know you said you don't want to change your route but taking 55 instead of 57 between Chicago and Memphis wouldn't take you much out of your way and would take you through St. Louis. St. Louis has a lot going on right now. You could pick up some Perennial, 4 Hands, Second Shift, Urban Chestnut, etc.

Contrary to earlier statements,I have no problem finding three floyds in the chicago area. I live in NW suburbs. They have 3 floyds at some convenience stores. I find it at Binnys downtown also (im sure its a lot more places). Some of the binnys places hide it (I swear) and they put it behind the counter. You might have to ask for it.

Keep an eye out for Boulevard beers when you get out to the Iowa area--may be available in that area. Their Double Wide IPA, Long Strange Tripel, and Tank 7 Saison are some of my favorite commercial beers!

Keep an eye out for Boulevard beers when you get out to the Iowa area--may be available in that area. Their Double Wide IPA, Long Strange Tripel, and Tank 7 Saison are some of my favorite commercial beers!

Thats here too =)

Contrary to earlier statements,I have no problem finding three floyds in the chicago area. I live in NW suburbs. They have 3 floyds at some convenience stores. I find it at Binnys downtown also (im sure its a lot more places). Some of the binnys places hide it (I swear) and they put it behind the counter. You might have to ask for it.

I'll be sure to ask when I hit up Binnys, thanks for the heads up!

Believe it or not I can actually get Boulevard in Ca. I'll have to pick some up locally and see how it compares. ;)

So I'm headed on a pretty big Roadtrip in a few months for a family reunion. Wondering where I should stop or what I should try to find along the way?

Here's a picture of the route we're probably gonna take:

View attachment 85234

I can't stray off of the path too far. I don't really need to stop at the breweries themselves, just want to know what's good and what I should hunt for.

I'm mostly interested in cellarable beers.

Thanks!

You could stop by Firestone Walker in Paso Robles if you take the 101 through CA instead of the 5.

Mother Road Brewery in Flagstaff is putting out some really good brews for a new brewery and they are active homebrewers too. They have the only Black IPA I have ever enjoyed. If you take a corny to the brewery they will fill that for you (for a fee of course). Also while in AZ, Four Peaks puts out really good beer and does not distribute outside of the state, their Kiltlifter Scottish Ale is really good and I really like their IPA called Hop Knot too.

While you're in Chicago, I hear Half Acre brewing has a pretty nice tasting room. Their pale ale is supposed to be pretty awesome too. Also, I've had a few bombers from Spiteful Brewing and they are definitely worth checking out. Binnys beverage depot has an awesome selection (you can mix and match), I'm sure you'll find a ton of good stuff.

While you're in Chicago, I hear Half Acre brewing has a pretty nice tasting room. Their pale ale is supposed to be pretty awesome too. Also, I've had a few bombers from Spiteful Brewing and they are definitely worth checking out. Binnys beverage depot has an awesome selection (you can mix and match), I'm sure you'll find a ton of good stuff.

Their new tasting room is nice and clean and they are starting to produce some better beers. I can't stand their standard pale "Daisy Cutter" but their IPA "Space" is really good.

I'm from CA too but picked up some beer from Left Hand, Odell's, Ska, a Brekenridge at a couple stores in AZ. I was lucky enough to find a the seasonal from Odell's and the Milk stout on nitro (in a bottle) from Left Hand.

Looks like you are going to pass through spearfish, SD. There is an awesome little 30 barrel brewery there called Crow Peak. The Pile O' Dirt Porter is amazing. Check it out if you have a chance.

Thanks! Added to my list.

If you go to 3 Floyd's get there before they open. I went on a Sunday and there was at least 50 in line 20 min before they opened.

If you go to 3 Floyd's get there before they open. I went on a Sunday and there was at least 50 in line 20 min before they opened.

Good to know. I'm not sure what day ill go but I'll be sure to get there a lil early.

If you can avoid 3F on a weekend you'll be better off. It's a line out the door pretty much all day. Most weekdays you can walk right in. I don't even bother going over there on weekends. You can get at least the main 4-5 of their beers at many other places around here.

If you can avoid 3F on a weekend you'll be better off. It's a line out the door pretty much all day. Most weekdays you can walk right in. I don't even bother going over there on weekends. You can get at least the main 4-5 of their beers at many other places around here.

You cannot however get their burger, which is amazing.

Leaving Declo Idaho this afternoon and heading for Jackson Hole Wy. Anything I should look for besides Snake River Brewing? Probably going there tomorrow or tonight.

Just hit up snake river and had a golden buck ale. It was delicious. Bought a pakos, and a stout for the road. The brewery was cool but the staff were kinda blah. Not very interactive.

Went down the street to Thai Me Up nano and restaurant. The beer and bar tenders were awesome! Highly recommend that place. No bottles, only on tap. Had a GABF gold medal DIPA called 2X4 and a nitro porter called Charlie Murphy. Fantastic stuff!

Follow my beercation on untappd at mrrshotshot

Great looking trip you have. Try to stop by Two Brothers while your in the Chicago area. Also, a lot of people have commented that you should swing by Wisconsin to pick up some New Glarus. Try your best. They brew some great beers and lambics. Every gas station and mini-mart near the border sells the full line. They won't sell in IL. Church street brewing company opened recently in the burbs and have a decoction setup to pump out some terrific German beers.

Heading to grand tetons and Yellowstone for a few days. Probably Wont find much for beer. Then its off to Crown Point Indiana. I'll try and find a lot along the way.

Just pulled into Cody, Wyoming. Saw geyser brewing co on the edge of town but its pretty far from our KOA. I'll see if I can find a liquor store nearby. Starting the 2 day trip to Crown Point, Indiana tomorrow.

Snake river as you said... My parents live there and it's an absolute must go every time I'm up there

We stopped for gas and lo and behold, a liquor store right across the street! Picked up a Salmon Fly Honey Rye from Madison River Brewing Co. And an Avery Maharaja. I know Avery is Co but I can't get it in my area so I was excited!

Can't remember if your going through Iowa or not...Coralville has a new brewery. Backpocket, lagers are ok but the bourbon barrel aged stout is great as is the IPA. You must stop at Johns grocery in Iowa City...ask for Doug. He may even show you the old beer cellar.

Can't remember if your going through Iowa or not...Coralville has a new brewery. Backpocket, lagers are ok but the bourbon barrel aged stout is great as is the IPA. You must stop at Johns grocery in Iowa City...ask for Doug. He may even show you the old beer cellar.

That's a place I wanted to go but we won't have time to swing that far out of our path.

Back