Bulk aging temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salb29

Reaction score
Ill keep this short I have a RIS just starting to bulk age, it will for three months...

My question is what temps should I keep it at? Its in my closest and temp strip shows 70 degrees

Thanks

70 will be fine.. Just make sure you check the airlock from time to time and make sure it has not evaporated empty. You should be fine, but if you are worried about carbonation you could add some yeast when you go to bottle.

moorerm04 said:
70 will be fine.. Just make sure you check the airlock from time to time and make sure it has not evaporated empty. You should be fine, but if you are worried about carbonation you could add some yeast when you go to bottle.

Hmmm didnt even think about the yeast and carb thing at the end of three months but at the same time where would the yeast go?

They could kick the bucket depending on what strain and the alcohol tolerance they have. Sitting dormant for three months.. I know I would probably pitch a little yeast just to be safe if I still bottled. I keg and force carb so no need to worry for me!;)

I bottled an ~9% ABV imperial nut brown ale after a four week primary, four month secondary, and they carbed up with no issues at all. The dormant period isn't going to hurt them, else how would people culture yeast from commercial bottles?

Back