Hops "Cousin"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rundorig76

Reaction score
Has anuone ever thought about or attempeted to dry "hop" with the hops aromatic cousin (especcially those living in colorado or washington)? I think there are a lot of great flavors and aromas similiar to hops but different enough any hop head would sit up and take notice. If you don't know which plant is very closely to hops look it up.

Yes lots of people have used it... Does not impart much to the finished beer, since you would have to use a huge amount to get any real aroma or flavor from it... Not worth the expense, when I can buy a pound of hops for under $15.

I can see how it could be cost prohibitive but some times you get that batch that just has sooo much depth of flavor and aroma that I can't help but want to brew with it. You really don't think some real stinky sticky woudnt add anything? Is the active ingredient able to bond with the alcohol without heat present?

honestly, it'd be too expensive.... i know a few people with the medical card have asked if it's possible and if it would impart anything. sure it would, but it's honestly not worth the cost. If you had a ton, you could do like a SMaSH with them, like a 1/2 gallon or gallon batch to test. but whats the AA and BA%? lol

Well that's sad. I was thinking of using it for lightly hoped pale and then "dry hop" so I woudnt need it for the AA

Has anuone ever thought about or attempeted to dry "hop" with the hops aromatic cousin (especcially those living in colorado or washington)? I think there are a lot of great flavors and aromas similiar to hops but different enough any hop head would sit up and take notice. If you don't know which plant is very closely to hops look it up.

No, nobody every thought of that ever. You're the very first to have thought of this. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Please refrain from posting this time of thing in our forum. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back