First AG done and dusted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenhaze

Reaction score
First AG went very well today. 10 gallon round igloo held temp to within one degree, started at 154 after an hour it was 153. First running's was 2.5 gallons. Batch sparged with 170 water, 4 gallons. ended up with 7 gallons total. Preboil OG was 1.074, can that be true, preboil was supposed to be 1.049 according to Ibrewmaster.
Forgot to take OG reading after boil. Pitched one liter starter of WLP300. In temp controlled fermenter at 68.
A very enjoyable day, thanks to all at Homebrew for all their help.
Can I calculate my brewhouse efficiency without the after boil OG ?
Slainte

You can calculate it. What was your grain bill?

To get 7 gallons of 1.074 wort you would have to mash 20 pounds of 2 row at 70% efficiency.

Also I'm confused how you had 2.5 first runnings and sparged with 4 and ended up with 7. Wouldn't that be 6.5? Am I missing something?

Yes just checked my notes, got 3 gallons from first runnings.
My grain bill was 6 lbs pilsner 2-row German , 6 lbs of wheat malt german.
Slainte

Yes just checked my notes, got 3 gallons from first runnings.
My grain bill was 6 lbs pilsner 2-row German , 6 lbs of wheat malt german.
Slainte

Yeah something is not right. To get 7 gallons of 1.074 wort with 6 lbs of pilsner and 6 lbs of wheat you would have to get 115% efficiency which is of course not possible.

That grain bill at 70% efficiency would give you 7 gallons at 1.045.

It doesn't add up. You sound confident with your volume and weight measurements. It would have to be a broken hydrometer or simple error like writing down the wrong number. Even using the hydrometer temperature correction calculator says that 1.045 wort would have to be 159 degrees to read at 1.064 so it's not possible that even the temp of the wort caused a faulty reading.

It simply could not have been 1.074 pre-boil.

Something seems off, when I put it in Beersmith that comes out over 100% efficiency. Did you possibility take the OG reading from your first runnings?

Something seems off, when I put it in Beersmith that comes out over 100% efficiency. Did you possibility take the OG reading from your first runnings?

3 gallons at 1.074 with that grain bill would still only be 49% efficiency. Not likely but possible.

Did you cool your hydro sample?

Stupid mistake I've made before.

It can't be that. The correction calculator only goes up to 159 degrees and the difference between 68 and 159 is a correction factor of only 10 points.

Back