Dry Hop 0 days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenthumbs

Reaction score
Looking at one of the Beersmith recipe's, it calls for a Dry Hop of 0 days. What does that mean?

Most of us wait till most of fermentation is done (7 days or so), then dry hop for 1 week. With that said, I usually dry hop on day 7-8 and leave in till I'm ready to keg which is about 4 wks.

rgarry said:
Most of us wait till most of fermentation is done (7 days or so), then dry hop for 1 week. With that said, I usually dry hop on day 7-8 and leave in till I'm ready to keg which is about 4 wks.

I've had grassy flavors from leaving dry hops in for too long. I'm sure it can be done without issue but one time I did 12 days and the final beer got weird. Even on multistage dry hops, I usually do 3-4 days then add second round for 3-4 days then crash, fine, keg. I'd suggest letting the beer ferment out, then dry hop for 5-7 days then bottle.

I've done dry hopping a long time with no grassy flavors, but I waited 2 weeks before starting the dry hopping so maybe it has to do with yeast activity.

It's listing the dry hop as 0.0 days because when the window comes up to input the hops for boil time or dry hop,you didn't input the number of days in the lil "days" box. I had to go back & do that for my Maori IPA.

Thanks for the responses. Because this was my first shot at all grain, I wanted to make sure I stuck to the recipe. This is what I see (Stone IPA):

12 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1
14.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2
0.6 oz Perle [7.0%] - Boil 90 min Hops 3
0.4 oz Magnum [14.0%] - Boil 90 min Hops 4
2.0 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 15 min Hops 5
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10 min) Misc 6
1 pkgs British Ale Yeast (Wyeast Labs #1098) Yeast 7
1.0 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Dry Hop 0 days Hops 8
0.5 oz Chinook [13.0%] - Dry Hop 0 days Hops 9

As you can see there is two listings of dry hopping for 0 days. I've seen this in other recipes as well. However, based on the responses, it appears generally speaking that 7 days is a good number for dry hopping.

As already posted, In Beersmith when you add a hop for dry hop YOU have to input how long you want. Otherwise it just prints a 0.

On my last batch I decided to do my aroma additions at flameout and did a 45 minute rest before cooling. I'll see in about a week how well that worked.

Back