How best to input grapefruit taste into Hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomebrewNate

Reaction score
Firstly, I apologize if there are similar threads out there... I have gone through as many past forums that I could find, many of which graced the topic, but most dealt with opinions about specific recipes. I found so many mixed comments that I thought I would attempt to answer my question by asking directly...

I am looking to make a grapefruit Hefeweizen (Basically a clone of the Schofferhofer Grapefruit Hefeweizen), which my wife loves. What is the best way to impart grapefruit flavors? Keep in mind I am looking for a rather pronounced grapefruit flavor. I have read that many recommend obtaining the flavor through hops, which I plan to do. If so, what hops would be best? Also, for a true pronounced fresh grapefruit flavor would you recommend using actual grapefruit in addition... and if so, in what form?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone happens to know of an extract Schofferhofer clone recipe that would be great too. Thanks!

If you're looking at hops, Citra brings a decent amount of grapefruit/mango to the table. Other than that, I don't know. I guess maybe Sorachi Ace? Although that's more lemony than grapefruit.

Hops are going to give you a less pronounced flavor. They will be grapefruit notes, rather than a full on grapefruit flavor. To get that, I would suggest making a clean hefe and garnishing with a grapefruit wedge.

I don't think hops are the way to go here. Lots of hops have flavors described as grapefruit-like, but the flavors are definitely and distinctly hop flavors. Especially with a hefeweizen, I would definitely go for grapefruit zest, and a lot of it. I don't think juice is going to add anything other than sourness and bitterness.

Yeah, from what I have read it looks like the best option would be to use hops moderately (I have found that many recommend Amarillo) and then possibly add grapefruit zest to the secondary. I just wonder if grapefruit zest works the same as other citrus zests...

Whatever I opt to do, partially based on the responses in this forum, I will certainly update with the outcome.

Back