Group Brew Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BreezyBrew

IPA is my spirit animal
Reaction score
For those of you have participated in these type of events, what's been your experience? It seems to me that it would be real difficult to reproduce the same kind of beer when you aren't using your regular setup. On the flipper, it would be cool to participate for the camaraderie aspect of things. Also, anyone have useful tips for "travel brewing"?

Being new to the brewing scene, I think it would be great to participate in a brew day with one or two more experienced home brewers, just to soak in some information. I can read all I want about whirlpooling and sparging and whatever, but experiencing it first hand would provide a lot more. I guess that doesn't answer your question. I'm just sayin'. And I wanted to subscribe.

I've never done a large group brew, but I have gotten together with a couple buddies to split a big batch. it's fun to have some company on brew day, and it makes cleaning super fast and easy when you have many hands to do it. we typically pick a new recipe that we've all been wanting to try, and often will structure it so we can each do a slight variation on the beer for later comparison (different yeast, dry hops, fruiting, etc). way easier than brewing several batches on your own to compare ingredients.

as far as traveling with wort, it's not an issue. make sure you follow good sanitation practices, and I wouldn't go more than 24 hours after chilling before pitching yeast to avoid any chance of infection. you can also pitch yeast once the wort is knocked down and travel with that, it's not going to hurt anything for it to be sloshing around a little. just make sure you're not in super-active fermentation where there's a danger of it blowing off all over your car (almost happened to a friend of mine last time because he left the day after we brewed). typically for group brews there's some sort of brewmaster who's running the show. check with them about what equipment you should bring (mash tun, kettle/burner, chiller, hose/splitter, folding table, camp chairs, cooler), any ingredients they need (don't forget water chemistry), and what you're doing about yeast. definitely bring some homebrew to share.

Back