High temperature tolerant English Ale yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ikyn

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Summer brewing is a pain. I have a swamp cooler setup but even still, my fermentation is going to be around 75. I'm trying to do a malt-forward IIPA (I know it bucks traditional style, but I'm pretty determined to get it done for a buddy of mine that's coming back from deployment).

No fermentation chamber (yet).

Probably will be bittered with Chinook (it's what I have on hand), and hop-bursted with Mosaic, and dry hopped with Mosaic.

Any help with a heat-tolerant English ale strain?

There are not many. They really go off the rails fast when they get over 70-72 degrees.
1187 Ringwood and 1318 London II list temps to 74, 1335 British II to 75. That's about it. Do you best to keep it down.

And for future reference, I've used 1450 Denny's Favorite at pretty high temps with no off notes. It seems to tolerate warm fermentation pretty well.

Not English per se, but a very temp tolerant yeast that is good for a malt-oriented beer is WLP 009 the Australian Ale Yeast. If you can find a vial, give it a try.

Back