Golden naked oats...anyone use'um before?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwapogorilla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am working on a all grain recipe...a wheat. I bought some golden naked oats, and was thinking of using them in my grain bill...at about 15%. Anyone have any experience with this grain?

LOVE them! They have a "nutty" taste almost to them in the finished beer. They are great in APAs when you want some depth but not by overusing crystal malt.

LOVE them! They have a "nutty" taste almost to them in the finished beer. They are great in APAs when you want some depth but not by overusing crystal malt.
Yoop, what percentages have you used them at? I was thinking of going at 15% in my wheat beer, along with a touch of citra and lots of mosiac hops... Kind'ov a "wheat pale ale".
I've read the mosiac hops have a mango flavor, while also reading naked oats lend a slight nutty and berry flavor. I was thinking those might go very well together.

Yoop, what percentages have you used them at? I was thinking of going at 15% in my wheat beer, along with a touch of citra and lots of mosiac hops... Kind'ov a "wheat pale ale".
I've read the mosiac hops have a mango flavor, while also reading naked oats lend a slight nutty and berry flavor. I was thinking those might go very well together.

I'm not at home where my recipes are, but I've never used more than a pound in a 5 gallon batch (normally 10-12 pounds) so that's definitely less than 10% or so.

Back