Quick Question - O-Ring Placement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverZero

Reaction score
When I install an element on my brew kettle, couldn't I just put a hole in a junction box (or whatever I want to cover the wiring on the element) and then put the element straight through the kettle wall, securing it inside with a 1" nut and a silicone o-ring? It seems like all the builds I see recommend putting the nut directly against the inside wall and putting an o-ring inside a shim/washer outside the kettle. My question, then, is what is the purpose of doing it this way and adding a washer to the mix? An o-ring on the inside would keep the wall sealed just as well, wouldn't it?

Am I over-thinking things?

Okay then, I figured that was the reason but it didn't quite seem logical to me. I guess I still can't visualize how it's different outside, but I'm sure it makes sense with the setup in front of you.

An o-ring outside the kettle (ala Kal) does not seal the threads either. Notice the use of silicone. With one method you have to silicone inside the wiring housing, the other inside the pot. I've always wondered why not put the o-ring and washer inside the wiring housing. That's the only way the threads can not leak and is how elements are installed in water heaters.

Thanks Bobby! I almost sent a PM direct to you with this question but finally decided to leave it out for the community. :)

Inside the kettle between the kettle wall and the locknut.

You can get away with putting it outside the kettle when the next surface is the hex of the element, but not when you have another layer of metal between the oring and element hex. You still have liquid chasing outside of the kettle in this case.

Back