Help with HBT abbreviations!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twobears

Reaction score
I am a novice homebrewer and I find a lot of information on this forum helpful.....if I can understand it. These guys abbreviate alot. Most of the abbreviations used on this forum I've seen before or I can figure them out given their use in the sentence. Some of them on the otherhand I have no idea. We need a library of beer related terms and abbreviations so beginners reading along can undertand. Here are a few that I know:
DME, dry malt extract
LME, liquid malt extract
AG, all grain
IBU, international bittering unit
BK, brew kettle
MLT, mash tun (but I have no idea what the "L" is for)
HLT, hot liquor tank
HBS, homebrew supply
LHBS, local homebrew supply
HBT, Homebrew Talk
LP, liquified petroleum (propane)

I read one the other day that was about 8 letters long. I can't remember the letters and I have know idea what that person was trying to say. Not sure what BIAB is either. Any others that I've missed please fill me in. It makes my learning experience on HBT much more effective if I can fully understand what is being said.
Thanks.

We need a library of beer related terms and abbreviations so beginners reading along can undertand.

You mean like all these that we already have on here? Many which are stickied?????

this

And our glossary

And it broken down in terms of abbreviations

We even have a HBT dictionary...or commonly misspelled brew terms

So you want more things that people are going to ignore, or not look for and start threads about how we need them? ;)

Google is also a good source for infomation as well..Just add the word "beer" or "brewing" to whatever you're looking for and you'll find it...:

I see, so why aren't these stickies, glossaries, and dictionaries included on the mobile app? I looked all over before posting and couldn't find anything but forums and topics....I guess I need to back up 10 years and sit down at an actual computer.

Mobile apps are weird. Blame the third party maker of the the mobile apps for forums though for writing a program that for efficiency sake *ignores* stickies. I'm sure there's some way to search the mobile app to find stickies but that's really the responsibility of the user and not of the admins who did all they could by making the discussions sticky to begin with.

The eight letter abreviation is probably ... dang, I never us it myself so I know I'll get it wrong ... RDWAHAHB which by context, I figured it most mean something like calm don't, don't worry and/or no one cares and it doesn't matter. I finally did look it up in the glossary. It means Relax, Don't worry, and have a home-brew so I wasn't far off.

I see, so why aren't these stickies, glossaries, and dictionaries included on the mobile app? I looked all over before posting and couldn't find anything but forums and topics....I guess I need to back up 10 years and sit down at an actual computer.

They show up on the Iphone app.......

Actually took me a while to work out that # is the same as lb, its called the hash sign outside of america. Its pretty confusing when recipes use both # and lb, or am I still missing something?

It's called the hash sign in America too. It used to be called the pound sign but I don't think many americans remember that. It's not actually very common to use it for lb.s. Maybe for industrial measurements but for day to day stuff, never. It took me a while to figure it out too but it was one of those "what *else* could it mean" things.

It's called the hash sign in America too. It used to be called the pound sign but I don't think many americans remember that. It's not actually very common to use it for lb.s. Maybe for industrial measurements but for day to day stuff, never. It took me a while to figure it out too but it was one of those "what *else* could it mean" things.
?
I'm American. I call it a pound sign. I'm not that old yet... The kids call it a hash tag when they send the twitters over the interweb to their "followers"...

Nice to know I'm not too old. I call it the pound sign and I associate it with telephones and keyboards. When programming I call it the hash mark and associate it with comments and associative arrays. I never associated it with lbs though despite its name.

But, yeah, you are older than you think. We all are.

Well,I am guilty of trying to start a few myself. They have AG for "All Grain".
So I thought,why not AE for "All Extract"? Or PB/PM BIAB instead of typing "Parial Boil/Partial Mash Brew In A Bag"? And E/SG for "Extract with Steeping Grains? I've been using them for a little while now. Or BK/MT for "Brew Kettle/Mash tun". My brew kettle doubles as a mash tun for brew in a bag partial mash brewing I do.
I also took to calling primary fermentation initial fermentation,since many don't use secondaries any more. The original term refered to the primary fermenter,& was racked to secondary to get it off the supposed dead yeast.

They have AG for "All Grain".
So I thought,why not AE for "All Extract"?

Because it looks like Arts and Entertainment?

Or PB/PM BIAB instead of typing "Partial Boil/Partial Mash Brew In A Bag"?
Because it looks like Peanut Butter and mayonaise and Bring an alternative Bottle?

Actually those are pretty good abbreviations. Good abbreviations should be either technical or clear from context and the should be visually distinct.

Those are good in all those fronts.

^Can't say as I've seen that one. I just came up with them off the top of my head to provide further distinctions.

The stickies are on the Android app right up at the top next to "Threads". However, I find it much more efficient to do a search on the internet instead of trying to search the forums. It will usually bring up a thread from Hombrewtalk anyway and it just seems faster and more efficient. :tank:

All right, if we're going to ***** about the forums I have to confess the search capabilities have be poorly configured and set up. But I just take it to mean the admins are better at making beer than at futzing with bb-software... Making beer is more *fun* than futzing with bb-software...

And that's true... the stickies are there, in plain sight... but then again the Acronym sticky isn't in the Beginnings Beer Forum but in the ... Hmmm, I forget where it is... I can usually find it when I want it...

If you want to search a specific site with google try this syntax.
Site:homebrewtalk.com keywordshere

Back