Microsoft is giving free game downloads to Xbox Live Gold members (6/12-12/12)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ICWiener

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just thought I would put this here for people who may not have heard yet. Starting Monday 6/10, if you're an Xbox Live Gold member, you can download 2 free games a month from now until December. You don't get to pick the game, and you have to download it in the time frame that it's available (2 weeks), but still...they're good titles and they're free.

Right now they're giving away Fable III. I downloaded it last night.

Coming up next will be Halo 3 and Assassins Creed II. For those of you who buy every game brand new, this might not be relevant, but for those of us who are cheap or just don't keep up with the newest games, could be pretty cool.

Enjoy!

For the record, so as to not sound like a complete dick, i have both a ps3 and xbox. This still all feels like a bit of pandering on the part of Microsoft...

It'd be awesome if they weren't offering games that are 4/5/6 years old.

I mean the Playstation Plus atleast offers fairly current games. I just downloaded Sleeping Dogs, and Uncharted 3 is currently available as a free download.

Hopefully, as this program goes on they'll offer more relevant games, and also hopefully continue this onto the xbone ... doubtful though.

edit: never played fable III, definitely considering the download.

It is pandering.

Microsoft is up a creek without a paddle. They have to do whatever they can to not stop mass exodus.

When all they have to do is cancel their stupid daily check ins and used game policy. Just make it the same as Sony. If a developer like EA wants to charge a fee that's their choice, don't make it on the device.

It is absolutely pandering, I agree. Microsoft is now realizing just how angry everyone is about the Xbone and their terrible policies. I was just letting people know about the free stuff, otherwise I would have put the thread in the debate forum.:)

It'd be awesome if they weren't offering games that are 4/5/6 years old.

Meh. What's free is free. That's why I said it won't be relevant to a lot of people. But for me, it's a bunch of free games that I'm happy to check out.

I mean the Playstation Plus atleast offers fairly current games. I just downloaded Sleeping Dogs, and Uncharted 3 is currently available as a free download.

Don't they take the games back from you when the license expires though? I don't have a PS3, so I'm just repeating what I've heard others say.

Meh. What's free is free. That's why I said it won't be relevant to a lot of people. But for me, it's a bunch of free games that I'm happy to check out.

Agreed, to an extent. I'd personally like to see what the future list of releases is going to look like. What's next GTA IV? :drunk:

It's definitely nice, and I'll certainly be keeping an eye on what they are releasing, and will more likely than not download a few. I just feel like they could have offered some things that are bit more enticing ... again thats just me.

Don't they take the games back from you when the license expires though? I don't have a PS3, so I'm just repeating what I've heard others say.

Games are usually up for anywhere to 1-3 months, while certain games go up for a year ... Little Big Planet 2 was just removed and had been up for the past year.

However, even when games are removed from download list, as long as you're PS+ account is valid and you 'bought' the game, you'll be able to play the game. One of the cool things is you can go through the PS store website, and just 'buy' the games without having to download them and download them whenever you feel like.

even when games are removed from download list, as long as you're PS+ account is valid and you 'bought' the game, you'll be able to play the game. One of the cool things is you can go through the PS store website, and just 'buy' the games without having to download them and download them whenever you feel like.

That is pretty cool. And it's cool that they offer newer titles. But if it were me, I would have to beat the game in that 1-3 month window becuase this guy doesn't pay full price for games.

I just feel like they could have offered some things that are bit more enticing ... again thats just me.

Looks like we represent opposite ends of the gamer spectrum. If they end up offering 12 "classic" games. I'll probably download 10 of them, becasue I most likely don't own them and they're free. I have small kids, so I don't get to play much. Combined with the fact that I just bought my 360 about 3 years ago, Just about every game is still new to me! I just finished Fallout 3 and I'm getting ready to start Mass Effect 2. I know.

I might never even get around to playing Fable III, but it was free and I own that sucker now.

Either way, looks like I'll be coming back around to the PS4 in a few years. Sure as hell not buying an Xbone.

No, i totally get where you're coming from ... there's, technically, nothing bad about it.

I suppose with all the recent hoopla, no matter what Microsoft does ... it's with a bitter taste left in my mouth.

It's also partially my complete lack of interest in Halo, and i already played AC2.

I actually am just getting around to Mass Effect as well, i had never played that or BioShock when they had come out ... so i was debating on starting either series from the beginning, went with ME and I'm about 2/3 through the first.

Also, Fallout 3 is probably my favorite game of this whole console cycle. I dumped far too many hours into that game. So much fun.

Bioshock is one of the best games I've ever played. You won't be disappointed.

I dumped far too many hours into that game. So much fun.

Same here. Like I said, I don't get a lot of time to play...It took me 5 months to play through Fallout 3. It was incredible though. I think I finished with 120 hours or so.

wow, they're pulling a move that the government would be proud of..

the public is pissed; here's some free ****!!

Back