Temperature correcting pH meter recommendations.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el_loco

Reaction score
My cheap-y little Hannah pH meter is basically not worth the effort and I'd like to be able to take pH readings quickly without cooling my samples first. Anything in the $50-$100 range of good quality?

There are a lot of quality temp correcting pH meters out there but if saving money in the long run is a concern you should know that testing samples before cooling wears the probes out very quickly and probes cost near as much as a new meter. I have a Martini Instruments PH56 and it works great. Think they run around $60-$70

Heat damages even the temperature correcting probes? What are considered safe temps?

I pull my sample in a coffee cup then place it in a bowl of ice water to cool it down quickly for my pre boil hydrometer readings. My sample is usually down to 70* within 10 minutes. Faster if I stir it. You don't need a whole lot for a pH reading. You could even pull a small sample into a chilled glass and swirl it around a few times to practically cool the sample instantly.

also understand, that the temperature compensation on the probes is only for the effects of temperature on the probe itself. it does not account for the change in pH that occurs in the wort itself - which is typically around .3

what i have for chilling samples quickly is one of the "slushy" drink cups meant to take juice or pop and turn it into a slushy for kids. I leave it in the freezer prior to brewing, then pull it out when i need to take a sample I add a couple ounces of wort to it and it chills it in under a minute.

There are a lot of quality temp correcting pH meters out there but if saving money in the long run is a concern you should know that testing samples before cooling wears the probes out very quickly and probes cost near as much as a new meter. I have a Martini Instruments PH56 and it works great. Think they run around $60-$70

I have a PH56... that I killed by using it too many times on mash-temperature wort. It was a good meter while it worked! Now it won't even calibrate.

EDIT: I just looked up the cost for a replacement electrode - its pretty reasonable at $26 from Amazon.

Nice. I killed my by storing in improper solution. Just ordered the Amazon replacement. Thanks for the tip. I've been meaning to get that done for a while.

Oooh! Thanks for reminding me that it was time to replenish the storage solution for my 2 year old pHep5. Gotta set a timer for that...

Cheers!

Nice. I killed my by storing in improper solution. Just ordered the Amazon replacement. Thanks for the tip. I've been meaning to get that done for a while.

What solution did you use? I store mine in Hanna 70300M because its available from Amazon Prime. I assume its equivalent to the Milwaukee MA9015.

What solution did you use? I store mine in Hanna 70300M because its available from Amazon Prime. I assume its equivalent to the Milwaukee MA9015.

I know that wasn't aimed at me, but fwiw, this is what I use, and my Hanna is two years old on its original probe. If the solution saves me a replacement I'm good with it...

Cheers!

Back