Paint strainers for hops/grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbrew85

Reaction score
I know homebrewers use paint strainers for pellet hops and steeping grains. And I was wondering if anyone know if they are food safe or not. Are they cheaper/better than grain/hop bags from homebrew store?

17 cheers:mug:

I actually just bought some one gal paint strainers for my next batch. The only thing I'm worried about is the elastic, but I was going to knot the bag and cut the elastic off. I also plan on running it through sone boiling water fir a bit to make sure it has enough integrity. I'll let you know after Sunday how it works out

I use them all the time...never had a problem...food safe...don't know...they go in the boil...all the baddies die in the boil.

Off-gassing is only a problem if you do traditional all-grain brewing. With BIAB you can use whatever plastics/nylon/synthetics/petroleum products you want.

mike_in_ak said:
Off-gassing is only a problem if you do traditional all-grain brewing. With BIAB you can use whatever plastics/nylon/synthetics/petroleum products you want.
I'm confused?

I found a 5 gallon paint strainer bag at the lhbs from LD Carlson. It works fine rolled over the lip of the BK/MT so I can stir the mash for higher efficiency. It empties out cleaner than the muslin ones. It can be cleaned easilly by dunking up & down in a sink of warm water. Dry out & store till next time.

I bought a 5 gallon nylon vinter's bag at my LHBS and a 5 gallon paint straining bag at a paint shop. They appear (visual inspection only) to be the same bag.

Here is a link to the vinter's bag (clickabrew is my LHBS's web store, I got it at the physical store not online):

http://www.clickabrew.com/shopexd.asp?id=677

In the picture the elastic is black but both of mine (brew shop one and paint store one) have white elastics. I paid a lot less at the paint shop.

Back