Feedback on my DIY Kettle plan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatITGuy

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to brewing, I've got a number of kit&kilo batches under my belt, looking to put together a kettle for an extract brew (or BIAB).

I plan to purchase a Turkey Fryer + Burner for about 100$ then modify the aluminum pot and add either stainless or brass ball valve. (SS weldless go for about 30$ online)
then also add a thermometer.

One thing I'm not sure about is a hop strainer, if it will be necessary, using mainly hop pellets. I may just use paint strainer bag instead, as I've heard they work well. Is the Bazooka worth the money?

Also, when transferring wort from kettle to FV, would siphoning at height (3ft) be enough oxygenation for the wort?

Feel free to chime in if I've overlooked any details, or if you have any suggestions on improvement.

Money is tight for me, so this will be pieced together as I can afford it.. also another reason why I'm not going the pre-built route. I can't justify speding 250$ when I can make the same thing for 50% less.

I got into homebrewing to SAVE money:rolleyes:.. HAHAHA

I used brass ball valves for a few years before stainless. I wouldn't go back as stainless has been easier to keep clean for some reason and I know what they're composed of all the way through. Hop strainers aren't necessary. Take a sanitized spoon and whirlpool the cooling wort manually and let settle for a hour or so. Syphon from the edge and you leave a lot behind. You're going to want to give the FV a good shake or pour vigorously (more chance of infection to the open air though) syphoning at that height.

I used brass ball valves for a few years before stainless. I wouldn't go back as stainless has been easier to keep clean for some reason and I know what they're composed of all the way through. Hop strainers aren't necessary. Take a sanitized spoon and whirlpool the cooling wort manually and let settle for a hour or so. Syphon from the edge and you leave a lot behind. You're going to want to give the FV a good shake or pour vigorously (more chance of infection to the open air though) syphoning at that height.

Are you referring to hop matter, or wort on bolded section above?

Is there a better method for aeration of wort, without extra equipment?

I don't mind a vigorous stiring for 5 minutes or whatever before pitching, chances are I'll be using an immersion chiller so I can aerate with that as well.. I have seen many videos where brewers opened the ball valve and drained into FV at regular counter height, I didn't think it was overly risky?

First, I wish you luck in saving money in this hobby. I'm not sayin' it can't be done, but...

Secondly, I'd not worry about pellet hops clogging the pickup tube. Just whirlpool a bit before siphoning and most of the gunk will dome up in the center. If you get some in the fermentor, no biggie. Worst case you get so much picked up that it clogs the tube. Not likely to happen if you whirpool and make sure the pickup tube (AKA Dip Tube) is up off the bottom a bit and off to the edge of the kettle.

A mesh bag is also fine for when you use a LOT of hops, or use whole leaf hops, which can clog the tube much more easily. If you go this route, be aware that your IBU contributions to the beer may be a bit lower. I've had a few batches that were a bit less than I expected when using a hop spider.

3ft is fine for aerating. Make sure to pitch plenty of yeast. Also, yeast experts have said that dry yeast doesn't require aeration like liquid yeast do. I don't want to get too technical, but it has to do with the way dry yeast prepares itself for dormancy, effectively supplying themselves with what they need to jump back in action after rehydrating.

I started out with a turkey fryer setup and still use most of it today when brewing smaller batches, since a regular 5 gallon batch comes up pretty high in the kettle.

Are you referring to hop matter, or wort on bolded section above?

Is there a better method for aeration of wort, without extra equipment?

I don't mind a vigorous stiring for 5 minutes or whatever before pitching, chances are I'll be using an immersion chiller so I can aerate with that as well.. I have seen many videos where brewers opened the ball valve and drained into FV at regular counter height, I didn't think it was overly risky?

Referring to trub/hop matter.
It's not so much the height from which you splash, but the surface on which you splash it. I.e., pouring through a strainer in a funnel on the way into the FV opens a lot more of the wort to outside infection that letting it splash directly on the bottom of the FV. It'll work either way.

Latest posts

Back