First Russian Imperial... First recipe post

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joker_on_Jack

Reaction score
Been brewing for a while and looking to brew my first RIS for next winter. I don't do a lot of porters/stouts but the weather lately has gotten me in the mood (shaking my fist at the Minnesota Skies). I would love some feedback on my recipe (finishing it up) and have some questions of my methods.

Shooting for 1.125 OG
32% 2-Row (probably Canada Malting)
32% Golden Promise
8% Belgian Special B
7% Golden Naked Oats
6% English chocolate
4% English roasted barley
4% Franco-Belges Kiln Coffee
2% English Black
5% Dark Belgian candi sugar

3L starter Wyeast 1335 British Ale II

I'm thinking Warrior for bittering and Brewers Gold and Northern Brewer for flavor and aroma coming in at the 80 - 100 IBU range.

Secondary on oak chips for 6 months

Get ready for the questions:

Any general help on the recipe would be great, I wanted a deep chocolate, toffee, coffee, oak and blackcurrant RIS... am I close?

What should I invest in flavor hops? With a long secondary I know the flavors will diminish, Should I be heavy at flame out and dry hop anyway if I want those flavors/aromas?

What should I be adjusting for efficiency, I typically get close to 70% but only ever up to 1.090 OG, should I expect a big drop going up to 1.125?

I have read a bit about doing all the roast adds at mash-out or steeping the grains to prevent excessive acidity. Most of these posts are dealing with regular ales however where it seems these are color adds. Will I be covering up the roast flavor I want in my RIS (and sugar contribution) if I employ these techniques?
Found a local water report here if it makes a difference: http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56619

Thanks in advance for all the help! :mug:

6 months on oak chips may be too much. You'll need to taste it regularly to find the right time. As for the recipe, I think it's too complex to comment. It might be good, it might be bad, you probably don't need more than 10% roasted grains in a 1.100+ recipe. I used 5% in my last imp stout, and it's black.

You probably need more yeast.

Ølbart;5124533 said:
6 months on oak chips may be too much. You'll need to taste it regularly to find the right time. As for the recipe, I think it's too complex to comment. It might be good, it might be bad, you probably don't need more than 10% roasted grains in a 1.100+ recipe. I used 5% in my last imp stout, and it's black.

You probably need more yeast.

I am pretty new to the roasted stuff. I was thinking of dropping the English roasted barley and just using the Franco Belges.

What is the a good guess on time on the chips?

Ok, answered my own question and going to do 2oz of french medium oak cubes soaked in bourbon for a couple weeks and secondary for 3 months.

And to follow up on the color, I know this is going to be dark and really just looking for motor oil, I want to hold a glass of this up to a light and see none of it coming through.

Ølbart said:
you probably don't need more than 10% roasted grains in a 1.100+ recipe. I used 5% in my last imp stout, and it's black.

+1 on this

10% roast is probably plenty on a 5% ABV stout but will be way too much on a 1.125..,
I just did a 1.107 OG 2 weeks ago with total of 24 oz dark/roast malt in cold steep, not in the mash, 6.4% of grist, recipe calculates to 48 SRM, not sure it s really that dark but its black...

Back