My Pallet Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyfishnc

Reaction score
Well, I'm finally far enough along to make a post on here.... First of all, I'd like to thank Brickout for posting his pallet keezer. When I bought the deep freezer, I knew I wanted to make a keezer and I had grand thoughts of spiffing it up and making a nice spot for it in the dining room. Well, the SWMBO had other plans and though the garage would be a better spot for it...

With that said, I posted a request on facebook looking for free pallets. Since this was going to be in the garage, I wanted it a little rustic and the build price had to be as cheap as possible. With in a few days, I had friends dropping off pallets at the house... :)

One garage full of pallets...check! Easy to take apart, sure.... NOT. These things were a major PITA with a claw hammer and a pry bar! So, after spending 20 minutes pulling two boards off of a pallet, I decided to introduce Mr. Tiger saw to the pallet. Within an hour, I had all of my pallets cut up and boards separated. That saw was like a hot knife through butter. So, word to the wise, go the power tool route if you do this.

Once the boards were separated, I decided to work on the base. I built my base out of 2x4's and it's a little over-engineered. My base is larger than the freezer since I wanted to hold the co2 tank outside.
CA_03121314032822-L.jpg

I also wanted it mobile because you never know when I need to add a motor to it. :ban: The casters that I used are all metal and I recessed them in the base a little to cut down on total height.
CA_03121314033308-L.jpg

With the base complete, it was time to build a collar. As I mentioned earlier, I wanted to store the co2 outside of the keezer so I could maximize my keg space. I used some weather stripping on top of the keezer and sat the collar on top.
CA_03121314032374-L.jpg

I used a kreg jig for the collar joints and it made for quick work when putting things together.
CA_03121314034358-L.jpg

I didn't glue the collar down, instead I use some spare wood and made stops on all sides of the freezer to prevent the collar from moving. The weight of it is enough to hold it firmly to the top of the freezer.
CA_03121314041462-L.jpg

Base and frame are complete, so now it's time to finish the frame. Again, it's all built with 2x4's and it went together pretty easily. There is at least 4" on all sides of the freezer and the bottom is open for air circulation. The little gaps that will be in my pallet slats will help as well. Here's a pic of the frame.
CA_03121314035510-L.jpg

With all of the pallet slats separated, it was time to come up with a pattern for the keezer 'cabinet'. I had a few pallets that were darker than the others, so I got a little artistic. I had to come up with a crude method of standing the slats up, but hey, it worked.
CA_03121314031563-L.jpg

After I was happy with the cabinet, I busted out my nail gun and attached the pallet slats to the frame. Talk about easy... Pop, pop, pop... and we were rolling.
CA_03121314030326-L.jpg

Ok, now that the cabinet is all set. It's time to start thinking about the top. So, I wander over to Lowes to buy some B/C plywood. My initial thought is to get some plywood, stain it dark'ish, randomly place coasters on it and pour on some poly. So, here I am in the lumber area talking to the associate and he asks, "Why don't you use oak for the top?". I told the guy that I didn't want to pay the $50 a sheet. He then says, "Well, come look at this... Someone was in earlier and gave me incorrect cut measurements." I walked over and it was like fate... there sat a sheet of oak almost exactly the dimensions I needed for my top. When asked how much, the rep said $10... or $15 for all of the cut pieces on this cart. SOLD!

I bring the load of 3/4" oak ply home and get to working on the top. Since the freezer top has a handle, I needed to route out a spot for it so the plywood will sit level on the lid.
CA_03121314025846-L.jpg

Here's the top all framed up and sitting on the freezer.
CA_03121314024337-L.jpg

Attaching the top is the topic of question in a ton of forum posts. I went the route you use the nuts with spikes (for lack of a better word). Basically, these grip into the plywood and you saw off the bolt. It's a straight forward process.

I initially just bolted the top through the lid. However, that lid is super flimsy so I stiffened up the lid with some support braces. I ripped a few 2x's down and attached sandwiched the lid between the braces and table top. It made a huge difference in the lid sturdiness.
CA_03261321312498-L.jpg

CA_03261321311603-L.jpg

With the lid finally attached, I had to finish up my "trap door" for my co2 tank. Initially, I thought I may want this on the front of the freezer but I changed my mind and put it on the right side. So, here's how I did the door... I first made a frame and clamped it to the main keezer frame (using some scrap wood for spacers). From there, I used my brad nailer and nailed the pallet slats to the door frame instead of the keezer frame. Once complete, I took the door frame (with the slats attached) over to my table saw and cut it down to the right heigth. I then secured my door to the keezer frame and nailed the cut slats in their proper spot. I think it came out looking pretty good.
CA_03261321314563-L.jpg

Working door with co2 tank inside.
CA_03261321313651-L.jpg

Cabinet... check, top installed... check, door in place... check! Next up is the tower design. So, the coffin tower was made out of some of the scrap oak plywood. I had it, so might as well put it to use. After building it, I trimmed it out using some of the darker pallet wood.
CA_04121308070086-L.jpg

Next, I drilled out the holes for the shanks. The holes are 4" on center and 4" inside each edge of the tower. With the holes drilled out, it's time to dry fit the shanks.
CA_04121308071433-L.jpg

So, I have been seeing some users putting the chalkboard paint to use. I think that's an excellent idea and went to pick up a can for my project. Again, I used the oak scrap and sprayed the chalkboard paint on it. It came out ok and works fine. However, looking back on it I probably should have sealed the oak with primmer then hit it with the chalkboard paint. Oh well, live and learn. Not like I'll write on it every day. :)
CA_04121308075727-L.jpg

And here's the full thing so far. Not too bad for a garage-based keezer.
CA_04121308073856-L.jpg

Currently, I'm at a stopping point and look forward making a lot of progress this weekend.

I like the rustic look. maybe incorporate some old barbed wire or wood burning if you have a steady hand?

good work!

I love it! I was thinking about doing that to mine about a year ago, never got around to it. Right now mine stays in the garage too so it hasn't been a high priority for me.

NICE JOB!

Update #2

Well a few weeks have passed and I've made a little more progress on the keezer.

When I last posted, I had placed the tower in its location for the pic... So, we'll pick up from there. My co2 tank is housed outside of the kegerator and I needed to drill the hole through my collar and run the gas line. I also mounted my co2 distribution block on the collar.
CA_04231320153315-L.jpg

From the pic above, you can see my 3 holes in the lid for air circulation. Here you can see the inside of the collar with the fans...
CA_04231320161835-L.jpg

Once the coffin was mounted, I tested out my tap handle and faucet to make sure things were going to be lined up like I had planned. I was too lazy to walk inside and grab a pint glass, so I used the red solo cup (I fill you up...). :mug:
CA_04231320170257-L.jpg

Now that I'm happy with the collar it's time to do a little staining. I started with the coffin and then moved to the table top.
CA_04281323103275-L.jpg

CA_04281323105185-L.jpg

Once the stain dried, I added a little polyurethane to seal the wood on the coffin. I didn't want it crazy glossy, so I chose the satin poly. I'm real happy with the gloss level here.
CA_04281323112320-L.jpg

Now, up unto this point things have gone pretty smooth. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I lucked up on some oak plywood for cheap. Well... I looked all over town for some oak molding and couldn't find it (reasonable priced). Lowes, Home Depot didn't have squat. So, I ended up going to a small lumber company and had them plane down a 1x4 so I could make 2" x 3/8" strips to 'conceal' my screws in the top. I hated wasting all the wood, but the width of the top kinda screwed me.

With that said, I'm all excited that I have my 'molding' for the top. When I get home and start to work on the keezer, things get wild. The kids are going nuts and starting WW3, my wife had left to run some errands, and I'm right in the middle of finishing up the top. I take a few measurements, cut the molding, nail and glue it to the top. All is well with the world.... UNITL I noticed that I hadn't put the oak on each side to hide my pine frame. CRAP! I had cut the strip 1.5" too short. At this point, I was ready to roll it out in the street and set it on fire and just drink out of a party tap!

After calming down over a few beers, I decided to improvise and not set it a-flame. Originally, I wanted the top strip of molding to stretch all the way across the table top to cover the front-edges of the (top) left and right side strips. The pic below shows my how I fixed my little 'situation'. It isn't perfect, but since the keezer is in my garage...I'm ok with it and I thought it turned out ok.
CA_05011312510942-L.jpg

With the table top all set, I moved back to the coffin. Time to install the shanks! Man, we're getting close...
CA_05011321354805-L.jpg

Shanks in place, check. Let's wire up the temperature controller and get it all setup.
CA_05011321370441-L.jpg

Note, the 64 degrees is NOT what I have my keezer set at... It's just the ambient temp of my garage. :)
CA_05011321355587-L.jpg

Freezer outlet and power strip:
CA_05011321371439-L.jpg

Now, on to one of the milestone moments in a keezer build.... The faucet and tap install! Hot diggity, gettin all jittery just thinking about the first pint. Here are my tap handles and chalkboard area to write what's on tap.
CA_05011321362805-L.jpg

One note, when I bought my tap hardware I was "going" to build a 3 tap keezer. That all changed so I had to use a spare faucet I had laying around. This will be replaced by a perlick and a sweet tap handle very soon!
CA_05011321364503-L.jpg

And the keezer where it's 95% complete!
CA_05011321363535-L.jpg

So, what's left? I need to connect the kegs, run the draft lines, connect the co2 and I'll be serving. The last thing on my "to do" is to line the top with beer coasters and pour epoxy over them. However, that will be after I pour a few pints! I've been working on this sucker too long to wait. lol :mug:

Latest posts

Back