Favorite Hop Combinations for APA/IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadHomebrewer

Reaction score
What are your favorite hop combinations?

I am starting to build my own recipes and I am looking at how hops pair with each other. I have mainly been brewing single hop IPAs and I have used centennial, chinook, warrior and citra. I was doing this to learn about each hops character. Centennial has been my favorite, but warrior was a very clean bittering hop.

An all Chinook IPA is something to behold... but might not help you make friends. If you want an excellent recipe, I'd be happy to send you my personal favorite BeerSmith file or PDF. Best served with some bacon and eggs.

Centennial is a fine hop, but needs to be complemented with someone else... (I think Centennial makes a great American Lager Hop! [dodges tomatoes flung in his general direction])

An all Chinook IPA is something to behold... but might not help you make friends. If you want an excellent recipe, I'd be happy to send you my personal favorite BeerSmith file or PDF. Best served with some bacon and eggs.

Centennial is a fine hop, but needs to be complemented with someone else... (I think Centennial makes a great American Lager Hop! [dodges tomatoes flung in his general direction])

Yes, the Chinook IPA was interesting, not bad but different. The warrior ipa came out good.

If you don't mind, the Beersmith file would be great. Thanks!

I just did a Fuggle, Saaz and Citra IPA. Turning out pretty nice. Again, a bit on the floral/fruity side but it's got some earthy elements to it as well.

Love Centennial but I have to agree with cannman that I find it is improved by pairing it along something.

Any logical combo of:

Simcoe
Centennial
Columbus
Comet
Nugget
Apollo
Summit

Give me that unique, piney, dank, marijuana-esque profile in an IPA anyday. Far too many IPAs are "fruity" nowadays.

Bob, how would you work a simcoe/Chinook ipa? bitter w/ Chinook? add something else?
thx.

I just did a Fuggle, Saaz and Citra IPA. Turning out pretty nice. Again, a bit on the floral/fruity side but it's got some earthy elements to it as well.

Love Centennial but I have to agree with cannman that I find it is improved by pairing it along something.

Bell's Two Hearted Ale is pretty tasty!

Chinook and Centennial together is a nice combo. They play well together. Works especially well in a Rye IPA.

straight up Citra. Dat Dere Zombie Dust time. like straight up passion fruit aroma and flavor.

Whatever Stone puts in their Enjoy By series. Love the smell, love the taste, LOVE that beer!

I recently did a Maris Otter / Citra SMaSH that was awesome. And I've done an all cascade IPA, and most recently a Cascade / Citra (bittered with warrior) IPA. Also turned out awesome. Last year I did 2 all Cascade pale ales. Clearly these are my favorite hops. I like piney, and I like tropical fruity. Though.. I also like dank.. I should try something new in my IPA some day.

I use a bunch of different combos but I always seem to come back to Simcoe plus one or two of: centennial/cascade/amarillo. I'll often bitter with chinook and sometimes throw it in the late additions as well.

I recently did a Maris Otter / Citra SMaSH that was awesome. And I've done an all cascade IPA, and most recently a Cascade / Citra (bittered with warrior) IPA. Also turned out awesome. Last year I did 2 all Cascade pale ales. Clearly these are my favorite hops. I like piney, and I like tropical fruity. Though.. I also like dank.. I should try something new in my IPA some day.

Try Centennial, Chinook, & Columbus.

:D

That sounds awesome. think ima do that MO Citra SMASH as my next IPA.

I like a generic bittering hop with a simcoe, Amarillo and mosaic combo in the whirlpool and dry hop

My new favorite is:
Bittering with Chinook, or some other "harsh" high AA hop
Dry Hop/Whirlpool with Amarillo and Galaxy!

Amarillo and Galaxy has become my favorite hop combo

In even amounts? Is your split bitter with Columbus and then split centennial/Chinook for the rest? The masses want to know!

I actually don't know!

:eek:

I just know I have seen these in combinations before in beers with a "dank" aroma & taste.

*shows off my noobishness, isn't ashamed*

Yeah, Chinook & Centennial are what you find in Stone's Ruination which is VERY dank (at least version 1.0) and I have used Columbus, which smells A LOT like high-grade greenery.

Bob, how would you work a simcoe/Chinook ipa? bitter w/ Chinook? add something else?
thx.

I'm not a fan of Chinook. It is piney, but there are some pretty distinct herbal/earthy/spicy, and an almost smoky profile with mild grapefruit notes. Unlike other IPA hops (in large quantities) Chinook just doesn't work for me. I would do the opposite of whatever Stone does for their Arrogant Bastard Ale.

For me, it is at its best when you uphold the majority of the fragrant oil content, so I would not exposed to boiling temperatures. I would use some in the hopstand and dryhop to supplement more of a better hop, like Centennial, Columbus, or Simcoe.

I’m thinking about the following hop combo for an IPA. Bitter with magnum and then a few late additions and dry hop with galaxy, Amarillo, mosaic and azacca. Thoughts?

I’m thinking about the following hop combo for an IPA. Bitter with magnum and then a few late additions and dry hop with galaxy, Amarillo, mosaic and azacca. Thoughts?

All late additions are pretty fruity, so should play well together. Give it a shot

All I can say is, all the " hot " and " known " hops will play well and really well, when combined with other similar varieties. My only advice/recommendation is to stay open and listen to your heart or mind... or belly. In the past year, I played with hops a bit and found out that you don't really need Amarillo, Chinook, etc. to get grapefruit in your beer and that makes me happy, as I can get grapefruit flavours in beer much cheaper.

Cheers!

Back