Favorite Cream Ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobor_8thMan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Unsure if I'm posting in the correct forum as a Cream Ale is a hybrid of a lager and an ale.

Anyway...

I'm trying to find the best Cream Ale for me. So far I've brewed several in the hopes of discovering that special one. I've brewed the Ballentine one found at HBT.

I'm asking for all grain recipe recommendations on the best Cream Ale (original recipe or clone) and why it's the best.

I really do appreciate the input. Once I find my best Cream Ale everyone is invited over for draught cream ale and pizza.

Gordon Strong's Robust Cream Ale from the "Modern Homebrew Recipes" book pages 270-271.

OG: 1.051 FG: 1.009 ABV 5.6% IBU: 13 SRM: 3

The recipe uses:
- Dingemans Pilsner malt
- US Two-Row (Briess)
- Flaked Maize
- Vienna Malt
- Corn Sugar
- US Vanguard Hops
WYEAST 1056 American Ale Yeast
Primary: 66 F, Lager 35 F

RobustCreamAle1016.jpg

I really liked this one. I should brew it again this summer... My water is very high in bicarbonate, that's why I needed so much acid. I will probably use lactic acid next time and leave out the gypsum.

Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 4 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.043
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.054
Final Gravity: 1.010
ABV (standard): 5.85%
IBU (tinseth): 27.41
SRM (morey): 3.02

FERMENTABLES:
6 lb - Belgian - Pilsner (77.4%)
4 oz - German - Acidulated Malt (3.2%)
1.5 lb - Jasmine rice (19.4%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Sorachi Ace, Type: Pellet, AA: 13.5, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 20.62
0.5 oz - Sorachi Ace, Type: Pellet, AA: 13.5, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 6.79

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 152 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 4 gal, Hard alkaline tapwater (acidified)
2) Sparge, Temp: 170 F, Amount: 2 gal, RO water

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 tsp - Gypsum, Type: Water Agt, Use: Mash
5 ml - Hydrochloric acid, 31%, Type: Water Agt, Use: Mash
0.5 each - Whirlfloc, Time: 10 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - German Ale Yeast K-97
Fermentation Temp: 67 F

NOTES:
This recipe is inspired by Japanese Sapparo beer (I don't know if they really use rice) re-imagined as a cream ale.
The rice is broken jasmine rice from the Asian market (they sell it like that) simmered for a half hour in a gallon of the strike water. 1.5 pound is the precooked weight.

Generated by Brewer's Friend - https://www.brewersfriend.com/
Date: 2019-02-23 22:18 UTC

Wish I could share the complete recipe but since it's copyrighted I can't give too much away. Gordon's book does a great job, especially with water treatment using RO water.

Recipes cannot be copyrighted. Lengthy detailed narratives within the recipe directions can be copyrighted, and collections of recipes can be copyrighted. (so you can give away the list of ingredients and brief instructions w/o violating the copyright)

@Tobor_8thMan Good question. You might take a look at Biermuncher's Cream of Three Crops recipe or any number of other cream ale recipes in the homebrewtalk.com recipe database. Then click on Homebrew Ale Recipes. Then use the pull-down menu to browse by style - so select Cream Ale and you'll find a lot of options. Biermuncher's is quite good.

You originally posted this in the recipe database, which is for tried-and-true recipes. Questions, exploration, and conversation about recipes go in the Recipe/Ingredients forum, so I've moved this thread there.

Good luck with your cream ale!

@Tobor_8thMan Good question. You might take a look at Biermuncher's Cream of Three Crops recipe or any number of other cream ale recipes in the homebrewtalk.com recipe database. Then click on Homebrew Ale Recipes. Then use the pull-down menu to browse by style - so select Cream Ale and you'll find a lot of options. Biermuncher's is quite good.

You originally posted this in the recipe database, which is for tried-and-true recipes. Questions, exploration, and conversation about recipes go in the Recipe/Ingredients forum, so I've moved this thread there.

Good luck with your cream ale!
Gotta give 3 thumbs up to Cream of Three Crops... Possibly my most brewed beer in 6-7 years. You won't be disappointed.

Yes, she certainly does! Her pale ale recipe is off the chain good. Thanks, Yooper!!

Thank you for the nice words. I appreciate it.

@Pappers_ makes great beers as well- and he shares! One of my favorite IPAs of all time is brewed by him, actually. :)

@Yooper, the first time I made your Haus Pale, my mentor who got me into this obsession told everyone that it would be the one beer he'd take, were he allowed only one beer on a desert island. Thought you should know.

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1 lbs Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 1 9.5 %
6 lbs 1.1 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 60.3 %
2 lbs 1.4 oz Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 3 20.8 %
1 lbs Rice, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 4 9.5 %
0.46 oz Crystal [3.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 5.6 IBUs
0.46 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 8.8 IBUs
1.0 pkg Cream Ale Yeast Blend (White Labs #WLP080) [50.28 ml] Yeast 7 -

This is what i settled on for cream of 3 crops, Although i had some spare vanilla beans so made a tincture with Vodka and added at kegging time.

Everyone loved it, the 5 gallon keg lasted 2 days. And i also just put in 1 oz each of the hops., Knew i would be moving house so just wanted to use up ingridients.

I brewed the Cream of Three Crops Cream Ale found in the recipe section on February 2, 2019 adjusted for my brewery.

12.38 lbs 2 row (70.5%)
1.04 lbs flaked rice (5.9%)
4.13 lbs flaked corn (23.5%)
1 oz Willamette (4.4%, 7.5 IBU) - 60 minutes
1 tsp yeast nutrient - 15 minutes
1 tsp Irish moss - 15 minutes
1 oz Crystal (3.8%, 6.5 IBU) - 15 minutes
US-05 re-pitched from December 29, 2018 brew.

Mashed in 7.3 gallons (1.5 qt/lb ratio) for 90 minutes at 150F. Mash out at 168F. Sparge for 1 hour, 14 minutes (I plan for 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours sparge).

Collect 13.15 gallons and boil 60 minutes (based on 1.9% evaporation per hour).

Quickly cool to 60F using conterflow wort chiller into primary, take hydro reading and pitch yeast. Ferment 10.75 gallons, 59F, for 21 days.

89% calculated mash efficiency.
86.3% calculated brew house efficiency.

Currently in SS secondary as there are other cream ales awaiting kegging.

Last edited:
Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1 lbs Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 1 9.5 %
6 lbs 1.1 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 60.3 %
2 lbs 1.4 oz Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 3 20.8 %
1 lbs Rice, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 4 9.5 %
0.46 oz Crystal [3.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 5.6 IBUs
0.46 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 8.8 IBUs
1.0 pkg Cream Ale Yeast Blend (White Labs #WLP080) [50.28 ml] Yeast 7 -

This is what i settled on for cream of 3 crops, Although i had some spare vanilla beans so made a tincture with Vodka and added at kegging time.

Everyone loved it, the 5 gallon keg lasted 2 days. And i also just put in 1 oz each of the hops., Knew i would be moving house so just wanted to use up ingridients.

Curious what you thought of Cream Ale Yeast Blend (White Labs #WLP080)?

I am looking to try some new yeast with my cream ale.

Cream ale is a great style!
Rahr 6 row - 80%
Flaked maize - 20%
Noble hops - FWH and at flame out.
BU:GU ~ 0.6
1056 makes an ok cream ale but it is a little boring. 2112 gives a maltier finish. 1007 also makes a decent cream ale.

Curious what you thought of Cream Ale Yeast Blend (White Labs #WLP080)?

I am looking to try some new yeast with my cream ale.
Cream ale yeast (wlp080) is very steady. I've used it about 10 times and get consistent results. It imparts a bit of flavor and minute haze in my experience, but this is part of it's charm!

My go-to cream ale recipe is 80% 2-row, 20% flaked maize, lemondrop hops (to no more than 20 IBU's), and wyeast 1056.

I brewed one almost like that once; I used rice instead of corn, and Sorachi Ace instead of Lemon Drop. It was quite good, I should brew it again; maybe use Willamette because I have 1/2 a pound of it, but I'd have to buy SA or Lemon Drop.

Back