Farmhouse yeast in a Pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJ_Jameson

Reaction score
I have some extra OLY-217 (farmhouse yeast) lying around that I was gonna use in a pale ale. Wondering if it's worth pursuing or just go to LHBS store to the appropriate yeast for this style?

I have some extra OLY-217 (farmhouse yeast) lying around that I was gonna use in a pale ale. Wondering if it's worth pursuing or just go to LHBS store to the appropriate yeast for this style?
You’ll be make a saison or farmhouse then. That yeast strain(blend) has a Brett strain in it

It really depends on what you want out of the finished beer. This blend will make a funky beer since it contains Brett yeast. A funky pale ale might not be bad, but Brett also takes time to develop its full flavor profile and pale ales are generally meant to be drunk fresh, so there would be trade-offs on the hop profile. (I suppose you could always dry-hop it once the Brett profile is where you want it, though.) I'd probably just use it to make a nice saison, which I actually did recently (it's delicious).

I just ordered this yeast. Will this strain contaminate equipment?

I just ordered this yeast. Will this strain contaminate equipment?
As long as your cleaning and sterilization is good, Brett is nothing more than a yeast that can consume complex sugar, so it just as easy to eliminate as traditional brewers yeast

As long as your cleaning and sterilization is good, Brett is nothing more than a yeast that can consume complex sugar, so it just as easy to eliminate as traditional brewers yeast
Awesome thanks for the info I thought I might have to turn my cheap plastic fermenter into a dedicated sour fermenter.

Latest posts

Back