Fantasy Home Brew Draft Black IPA with Coconut Challenge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PastorsWalkTavern

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my homebrew club hosted a Fantasy Homebrew Draft, where each brewer drafted an ingredient round by round. The rules are you have to brew with and only with 6 of 8 ingredients you drafted. Finings and Water agents are exempt. I ended up with the following ingredients:

1.Coconut

2. Optic Malt

3 .Caramel/Crystal 80

4.Midnight Wheat

5. Chinook

6. Galaxy

7. Multi-Strain Yeast Culture/Blend

8. Coffee Beans

My thoughts immediately went to Black IPA with Coconut. In researching the style, I came across the recipe for Stone Sublimely Self Righteous in Mitch Steele's book. I have modeled my recipe after it. My recipe is as follows:

13 lbs 12 oz Optic Malt
10 ounces Midnight Wheat
10 ounces C-80

Hops:
1.25 oz Chinook at 90
.5 oz Chinnok at 30
.25 oz Chinook at 5
2.00 oz Galaxy Whirlpool for 20 Minutes

Ambient Fermentation at 68F for 14 Days, Transfer to Secondary to age on 2 lbs Toasted Coconut for 7-10 Days, 2 oz Galaxy Dry Hop for 3 Days, then package.

My numbers come out to be 1.075 OG and around 85 IBUs. I am aiming for a gravity around 1.011 to 1.013.

I am still figuring out the yeast blend I want to use. If you have any advice, suggestions, or tips, I would greatly appreciate it with regards to the recipe or yeast. Feel free to submit your own recipe if you want!

**TLDR: Brewing a Black IPA for a club contest. Entries due by May 28. Can only choose from 8 listed ingredients. Looking for a good yeast blend to use in a Black IPA. Feel free to play around and come up with a recipe.**

That sounds like a good idea ! Gotta be fun doing a fantasy homebrew. Wlp001 I use all the time and it never fails . I've used flagship as well and I like it .

Back