Insane fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RigorHillRyan

Reaction score
Alright, so I'm fermenting the BB russian imperial stout right now. I pitched two packs of s-04 into a OG of 1.80. The thing is going nuts. After reading other threads about the vigorous ferment of this kit, I set up a 1/2 inch blowoff from the start (thank god), but STILL the lid is bulging and a small amount of wort is bubbling around the rim (as in, escaping the car boy with an audible whistling sound). Wort temp is 68 right now in 60 degree ambient, which im going to bring down by keeping the window open. How can I keep the top from blowing off of this one (it's currently in the shower stall)?

i hate small hoses.
if its hooked up to an airlock just get rid if the airlock body and jam the hose into the hole on the lid, airlocks with the little cross piece not cutout are the worst.

next RIS get some 1"id tubing and drill the lid bigger. you anc still use a standard airlock for later brews just use a 6.5/7 drilled stopper in the hole. RIS's also behave better in the 7.9/8gallon "vino-vessel" buckets that come with wine kits

The tubing is too big for the hole, so I chopped off the end of the airlock with the little cross piece (which, by the way, why is that there). Things seem to be running a little more smoothly.

Back