4 year old hop "hand me downs"..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

24ChainsDG

Reaction score
A friend of mine recently got out of the craft and has handed down a couple 4 year old hop's (Cascade and Chinook). Being totally new to the concept (But I am good with gardening) I took the plants home (6 ft easy from end to end) and planted them the next day, with no trimming or what have yous. Now that I am reading up on the process I am wondering if I should dig them back up and trim them down to size or just leave them in their new spot and trim them next year?
Any advise would be great..

I would just leave them this year - my thought process is, you've already transplanted them once this year, they don't need the additional shock of being uprooted again.

I would just leave them this year - my thought process is, you've already transplanted them once this year, they don't need the additional shock of being uprooted again.

That was my thought as well, I checked them last night and a fair amount of shoots (sp?) are starting to come out of the ground. I will post photos as well as keep this as note keeper for their progress this year. Side thought... I also got a fair amount of Lemon Balm growing, has anyone ever tried to dry hop with lemon balm? I am thinking of adding it with 2 oz leaf hop Citra to an american summer IPA? Thoughts

Latest posts

Back