Have you ever done this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 157712

Reaction score
So my latest blonde ale is in bottles for 3 weeks now, and the carbonation is pretty weak yet. Long story short, seems I forget to hit the tare button on my scale to account for the bowl I put the priming sugar in and only primed with exactly half the sugar! :mad: My question is...can I swirl up the bottles to re-suspend the yeast, uncap the bottles, pour the contents all back into my bottling pale, add the remaining half of the priming sugar and then rebottle? Is it that easy or will there be potential issues? In the very, very slim chance that I am wrong and did add the proper amount could I have bottle bombs if I reprime with more sugar? Thanks! :cross:

I would just drink them as is. I would not waste the time to uncap and pour all of them into a bucket,turn around and sanitize bottles,bottle all over and then run the chance of oxidation from pouring them back in. I would just learn from my mistake and go on.

The middle ground would be to pop the caps, drop in the appropriate amount of priming sugar, recap, invert a few times, and wait...

Cheers!

Yeah, either drink as-is, or pop caps and add missing sugar and swirl. If there's even half carbonation I would just drink as-is, but that's just me. Definitely don't pour all back into a bucket and re-bottle, that just spells trouble.

The middle ground would be to pop the caps, drop in the appropriate amount of priming sugar, recap, invert a few times, and wait...

Cheers!

I wonder if that would be like the mentos and coke experiment with the beer being half carbonated? Maybe make a simple syrup and try to add some to a few bottles?

I wonder if that would be like the mentos and coke experiment with the beer being half carbonated? Maybe make a simple syrup and try to add some to a few bottles?

It would be just like it. I know from experience. I tried adding sugar to some under carbed bottles once, and they just foamed out before I could cap them. Those carb tabs that you can add up to 5 per bottle might work though, if you put 2 or 3 in.

call it a british pale ale and serve it celler temp as is. stare anybody down that says it isn't, tell em it came out or the cask that way...

Or

Chill the batch good and cold to preserve as much co2 as you can. Then pop the tops and drop in 2 of the small priming sugar tabs into each 12 oz bottle and recap.

I find celler temp minimally carbed beer very enjoyable so I'd go route 1.

Back