Infected after bottling, what to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjalderman

Reaction score
Hey guys, I bottled up an IPA a little less than two weeks ago and have been keeping track of a thin film that has formed over the top of the beer in 3 out of 5 bottles and they're obviously infected. My question is what do I do now? It was a wheat IPA brewed with a little sweet orange peel and honey malt, had an OG of 1.065 and around 73 IBUs. Is it a bad idea to open one up and smell it? They're swing top bottles. Thanks

Pop one open and taste it. Nothing that can grow in a high hop high alcohol environment is going to hurt you. Who knows, it might be awesome, it might taste like ass. And that film might not be an infection. If it is then look at your bottling equipment and sanitation procedures. It sounds like you didn't notice any signs of infection in the fermenter.

Can you show a picture of the film?

Some of my bottled beers form a small krausen ring during bottle conditioning, usually when I am impatient and bottle before the beer completely falls clear. No infection, just yeast fermenting.

With your hop level and ABV I'd say it would be pretty hard to have an infection, but it's possible. I'd maybe segregate the funny looking ones and let them go for another week or so, then test one. If it is carbonated normally and tastes OK then you are fine. If it is a gusher and tastes off then you have an infection.

My gut says unless you have something with tentacles growing in the bottle, leave it be and don't worry.

Just popped one open, smelled normal to me and had a normal carbonation pop. The small bubbles in the second picture are from opening the bottle. It looks to be a thin haze over the beer and a little up the sides of the bottle.

fLMDNfG.jpg

vfTEG9E.jpg

It looks like you have a lot of headspace in that bottle. More air = more infection potential.

The other possibility would be that you are seeing a film of hop oils, which might be possible with as high IBUs as you have. Did you dry hop a lot?

Anyway - if it tastes good, drink it. If you have any doubts, drink it sooner.

It looks like you have a lot of headspace in that bottle. More air = more infection potential.

The other possibility would be that you are seeing a film of hop oils, which might be possible with as high IBUs as you have. Did you dry hop a lot?

Anyway - if it tastes good, drink it. If you have any doubts, drink it sooner.

Yeah I dry hopped the crap out of it with some citra, I didn't know the oils could leave a film. Now that you say it though that looks like it is probably the case. Guess I'll drink one tonight and see how it goes, thanks for the help

Back