Storing yeast from a starter for future use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnagel

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just started rinsing yeast from brews, but now I would like to save a portion of a starter for a future batch, but I have a few questions.

- Is there a certain target amount of extra yeast cells that you try to make to save? 100 billion?

- When your starter is done, do you (A) pull off the portion you are saving before crashing and decanting off the wort or do you (B) crash, decant, then split the yeast portion?

- What's the best way to store the yeast after splitting?

Thanks

What I have done is make the starter larger than needed. If you need 1500 ml then I will make a 2000ml starter. Then pitch the amount I need for the batch into the carboy and leave the rest. Then when you throw it in the fridge for crashing you will have a later of wort on top to protect the yeast. Rather than just leaving a slurry exposed. If you plan on using it within the next few weeks the fridge will be fine. Just decant the liquid and make a new starter and get that going before the other brew.

Thanks. That's kind of what I was looking to avoid was the rinsing of the yeast, but I guess I can't get away from it. But maybe it will be easier on a starter since there is so much less stuff in there than after a brew. And I bet the yeast is less stressed out, so it's probably better.

Thanks. That's kind of what I was looking to avoid was the rinsing of the yeast, but I guess I can't get away from it. But maybe it will be easier on a starter since there is so much less stuff in there than after a brew. And I bet the yeast is less stressed out, so it's probably better.

You don't have to wash from a starter like you are describing. You can decant the starter wort and fill with a small volume of preboiled water. Then save whatever amount you would like into freeze proof tubes, add about 10% glycerin (mix well), then freeze.

Haven't thought about venturing into freezing yeast, but could I take the portion of the starter, decant the wort, fill with pre-boiled water and then just refrigerate for a few months before making a starting with it and brewing?

Every starter I make, I make 1 quart larger than I need. Prior to crashing (or use if I toss in the liquid too) I swirl up the starter, let it sit for a few minutes to drop any trub and dead cells, and then pour off a quart into a sanitized container. I let this 'extra' ferment out and then place in fridge to settle.

Once settled, I pour off 3/4th of the liquid leaving about 7 ozs total. I then swirl up the yeast and pour everything into an 8 oz mason jar. Store in fridge until ready to use. If I don't use within a few months, I pour off the liquid and replace with distilled water and again store in fridge.

You don't want to replace the beer with boiled or distilled water straight away. You want to keep it in a nutrient rich environment, so it can build up it's stores while it shuts down. Only after it is dormant do you want to replace the beer.

I have successfully woken up yeast that has been stored this way for over 2 years. I currently have a starter going with some Brett yeast that was put away in November 2010.

I agree with Calder. We harvest yeast from bottles of beer all the time. What better place to store them than in the beer that your starter essentially is? Might consider lightly hopping your starter for preservative effect.
I have revived washed yeast that I have stored for over a year. Follow his instructions if you are storing longer than a month or so, but for most conditions you could just pull a portion of the starter, save it in a sterile container, and pitch it into a fresh starter when you are ready to brew.

I didn't think so. Ill just have to buy more. Better to find out now than waste time trying to revive it though. Thanks for confirming that.

Yeast accidentally put in freezer instead of fridge. Can it survive for a month in freezer without glycerin?

If you are really lucky a few cells might have survived. If that is the case, it will take a while to build up. Use starter wort of about 1.020 if you are going to try.

I'll try the 1.020 wort - have 2 un-opened, un-expanded Wyeast packs that were in the fridge for a week. Moved things around in fridge and somehow they ended up in the freezer 3-4 weeks before I spotted them and put them back in the fridge. Do I still leave them in the fridge for a week before trying to revive in the wort starter? Should I add yeast nutrient?

Search freezing yeast. I found my information here. I have 20 ml vials. I make a starter larger than needed with a new batch. 5 ml yeast, 5 ml glycerin, 10 ml water cool overnight in the fridge then freeze. I make 4 vials from a new buy. If I made 4 more vials each time I could brew 256 times on one yeast purchase. I find this easier than washing yeast.

I have used yeast stored for more than 6 months with no problem. The next batch will use yeast stored for a over a year.

As suspected, my frozen yeast did not survive. I am, interested in freezing some yeast in the future, (with glycerin of course). I'm just not completely clear about the preparation though. When you wash yeast, do you wash it until the liquid is clear, and not tinted? When you add the glycerin, do you add 5 - 10% by weight or volume of slurry? Do you slowly bring the temp down to freezing and below, or do you just put it in the freezer?

You want your final glycerol concentration to be about 20%. I like to put my flask on ice as I aliquot to tubes just to start the cooling process. Then I just set it in the freezer.

Back