Malt Question for Hefes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eujamfh

Reaction score
I am looking to brew a couple AG hefe/wit beers. I am new, but now have a couple AG sesions under my belt and sicne the keezer is completed...need to add variety.

I would like to buy the base grain in bulk - just makes sense going into the summer.

I am looking at recipes and noted that some (like Bee Cave Hefe) require GERMAN pils and GERMAN wheat.

Do I NEED German variatels or will Amercan pils and whhite wheat put me close enough? I can get the German, but it is not as convenient compared to American.

Thanks!

I've loved my hefes with American malts. Authentic? Maybe not. But tasty and close enough for me.

Perfect...that was the answer I was hoping for. Being new I am focused on good beer and not being 100% authentic to style nor nailing a clone exactly. It has to be good enough that my wife likes it (she is picky about her beer) so my brewing sessions can continue!

Although I am a German beer snob, I will admit that my hefes with American ingredients have turned out just as good. I would not stray for a helles but hefe is so much about the yeast and brewing techniques.

Back