Beersmith water profile configuration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GobeBardelli

Reaction score
Hello brewing colleagues!

I got a few doubts about the water profile configuration using beersmith. Currently I use the Beersmith 2;

So, here it goes;

My brewing water (bottled water) profile is:

Ph: 5,1

Ca: 0,12mg/L
Mg: 0,07mg/L
SO4:0,30mg/L
Na: 0,38mg/L
Cl: 0,15mg/L
HCO3: 3,2mg/L

I'm an all-grain brewer and for most of my recipes I use 68L (total water volume, including MASH & SPARGE water);

How do I input this information at the system? Do I need to multiply the water profile considering the size of my batch? I mean, considering that I use a total water volume of 68L, and my brew water profile is shown in mg/L, my final water configuration should be as mentioned below (multiplying the mg/L x 68)?

Ca: 8,16ppm
Mg: 4,76ppm
SO4: 20,4ppm
Na: 25,84ppm
Cl: 10,2ppm
HCO3: 217,6ppm

I'll brew a Robust Porter next week and I'm planning to play with my water configuration. I've researched some water profiles for this kind of beer, but then I realised that I don't know how use the water tool at my brewing software!

Hope that you can help!

Thank you all!

I don't know either, but post back if you figure it out. I suspect the water tool in Beersmith does nothing.

I set/save my water additions and use the additions for 1 gallon of water and save it that way. When I add a recipe and use the add Water, the additions will be multiplied by the number of gallons in the recipe so it will work regardless of the number gallons of the batch. It will work regardless of the number of gallons you save in the Water additions but for me its' easier to double check because I can do most of the multiplication in my head. It's not that I don't trust Beersmith I just like to double check. I used "Brun Water" to find the additions for my different types of brewing water needed then added the types and saved them in Brewsmith. It's a lot easier to use than any other system I found.

Back