Another keggle cutting thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipatch

Reaction score
So I am about to build my first mash tun, boil kettle, and HLT, from some old kegs I acquired. I wanted to know is there a specific diameter these need to be cut? I read one webpage where the guy cuts his MT at 10" I believe. I have also read people cutting 12"

What diameter should the MT be?

What diameter should the HLT be?

What diameter should the boil kettle be?

I was thinking 10" for the MT, just so I could find a lid for it from old pot or something like that. Then I would cut the kettle and HLT at 12"

Also what are people using for lids on their MT?

Cut it as big as you can. The rim just gets in the way and collects dirt. You can make a lid out of the piece you cut off by soldering washers on the edge.

I would cut as big as possible for ease of cleaning, stirring, etc. I like the lid made from the cut piece + soldered on washers idea. I would probably drill holes and bolt some big washers along the edges (because I don't really know how to solder). That would be cool....

...because I don't really know how to solder...

Take a look at the soldering stainless steel thread. It's incredible easy.

I have Youtube playlist for making a keggle. The videos cover just about everything you need to know. I'll try to remember to post a link later. I can't do it at work.

Take a look at the soldering stainless steel thread. It's incredible easy.

I have Youtube playlist for making a keggle. The videos cover just about everything you need to know. I'll try to remember to post a link later. I can't do it at work.

what's up with that playlist mang?

I cut the top off my first keg the yesterday. Needless to say, it was a lot of work to get the proper tools, but with a little help from my friends I was able to get it done. Here are some pictures of the process. ...ohh don't try to use a router because it won't work, stick with the angle grinder method if you have one.

keg01.JPG

keg02.JPG

keg03-pilot-hole.JPG

keg04-router.JPG

keg06-jig2.JPG

keg07-angle-grinder.JPG

keg08-keggle.JPG

I guess I never got around to posting the link. Although, I don't think I've been on a computer outside of work in a couple of weeks.

Back