Brewing ale under 18 degrees Celcius?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewSmith19

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone's tried brewing an ale under 18 degrees C, my first homebrew seemed to come out fine at about 15-16 degrees even though ive only been told that the yeast wont function properly, is fermenting at room temperature more of a speed thing?

I personally have not fermented an ale colder than about 18C. Each type of yeast has a preferred temperature range for fermentation. I think most Ale yeasts tend to be in the mid 60s to low 70s Fahrenheit depending on the yeast strain. I would suspect that most yeasts will still operate at below-normal temperatures (like yours) to a certain extent, but it will result in a slower ferment, and the yeast may not create some of the flavor byproducts that they would at the recommended temperature level.

18C is a great temp for an ale (64F). I ferment many of my ales on the low end of the range, 60-64. I feel you get a cleaner yeast profile with the lower temps. Even 15-16 isn't terrible, the yeast may just take longer to ferment the beer

I do ales at 16-17C all the time using Nottingham yeast. It keeps krausen levels under control and fermentation always kicks in vigorously after 12-18 hours. Never had any problems. If it gets near 70 it tends to get out of control and I lose a lot of beer to a blowoff.

bosco

18C is 64.4F to be exact. Here's a handy conversion formula that I listed among others in the stickies above. (C x 1.8c) + 32 = F. This has helped me a lot in brewing or answering questions.
Anyway,yeasts like US-05 can go down to 60F comfortably,albeit slowly. I've gotten clean flavors from there up to 74F. The higher temp(s) were spikes though. but it's def a clean performer from low to higher temps,which is great for the average brewer.

I fermented a batch of pale ale at 52 degrees F with US05. Took 3 weeks to ferment and had to do a D rest. It was an amazing beer.

Latest posts

Back