Not Sure What Is Going On With My SG Readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new222

Reaction score
Hi there. I am back to this brewing thing after many years. Back then I never had anything except a pail and hose. I now bought a starter kit with all needed supplies. So I bought a Barons American Light beer kit and followed all directions. Yes I sterilized everything first. After adding the water to top me up to the 23L and stirring vigorously, I took my SG reading. It was at 1.040, within the specs of 1.036 – 1.042 in the instructions. Today will be the 5th day of fermenting and when I put the Hydrometer into my primary it goes up to 1.052 reading after sitting about 1 minute. Is this right? Or do I take the reading immediately after inserting into my primary. It appeared to have many tiny bubbles on it after pulling it from the primary and was thinking that this is what was causing my reading to rise. Also, temperature is at approximately 68-71 F, 19-21 C. Thank you.

Hi there. I am back to this brewing thing after many years. Back then I never had anything except a pail and hose. I now bought a starter kit with all needed supplies. So I bought a Barons American Light beer kit and followed all directions. Yes I sterilized everything first. After adding the water to top me up to the 23L and stirring vigorously, I took my SG reading. It was at 1.040, within the specs of 1.036 – 1.042 in the instructions. Today will be the 5th day of fermenting and when I put the Hydrometer into my primary it goes up to 1.052 reading after sitting about 1 minute. Is this right? Or do I take the reading immediately after inserting into my primary. It appeared to have many tiny bubbles on it after pulling it from the primary and was thinking that this is what was causing my reading to rise. Also, temperature is at approximately 68-71 F, 19-21 C. Thank you.

Your 1.052 reading is wrong. It could be that the co2 bubbles are causing this to happen, so degas the sample a bit by shaking it before adding your hydrometer to the sampling tube.

At 5 days, it's really too early anyway to worry about readings as it's not done fermenting (that's why it's full of bubbles) so if it was my beer, I'd just wait for another week or so and then check it. By then, much of the c02 will have dissipated and it'll be easier to check the SG, plus then the reading will be much more useful anyway!

Ok. Thank you for the help. I will admit that I did not use a sample tube, but rather place the hydrometer into my large pail. I will try this tomorrow when I get home. Thank you.

You can also spin the hydrometer when you put it in the sample, this will help keep bubbles from sticking to it.

Took another reading in the sample tube/jar. It was at 1.010, so I siphoned it into my carbouy for stage two. Yipeeeee. Two weeks to go before the next step. I will hate the watching and waiting for the next two weeks, but the results will pay off. I think the worse will be the two weeks after bottling before sampling.:D

Took another reading in the sample tube/jar. It was at 1.010, so I siphoned it into my carbouy for stage two. Yipeeeee. Two weeks to go before the next step. I will hate the watching and waiting for the next two weeks, but the results will pay off. I think the worse will be the two weeks after bottling before sampling.:D
Patience is the hardest thing about brewing beer.

Only a couple days to sampling.... Yay. Got another batch ready to bottle in about a week too. This is addicting.:D

1.010 is probably finished but you should really make sure that fermentation is done by taking a reading then waiting for 2 days and taking another reading and making sure they are the same before transferring. You can also go longer in primary allowing the beer to become clear then go straight to bottling. I generally primary for three weeks, bottle condition for about 3 weeks then enjoy. On my present brew, since my pipeline is low I plan to keg and force carb as soon as fermentation is finished. It is a cream ale so aging is not as important.

Ok. Well, batch #1 is doing fine. First bottle was a bit early. Then I intended on enjoying another on the Saturday so threw it in the fridge to chill it. Well, fast forward two weeks. Had it last Friday, better than bottle #1. Then last Saturday, I chilled my third bottle. Well, after sitting a couple more weeks in the warmer temperature made a huge difference in taste, head, and carbonation for the good. So yes, patience is key. Batch #2 was bottled and is sitting. That was it for now. BUT..... It really is addicting, so I have already started batch #3!:ban: I say after this one, it's over for a while, but I have this strange feeling that a batch #4 is a coming.:D

Back