Whats a blow off valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theCougfan97

Reaction score
What's a blow blow off valve but more importantly how do I make one? (I get they will help prevent an exploding fermenter)

If you are using a carboy, find tubing that first snuggly in the opening and have it long enough to drape down into a pitcher of sanitizer. You can also use tubing that will fit into the hole on the stopper that would be the same size as the airlock. I was in a pinch on night for a blowoff and just removed the guts from a 3 piece airlock I had and stuck a length of tubing I had on hand, right over top of the tube that sticks up inside the airlock. Since I now can't remove that hose, I just use that for my blow-off tube.

Basically any tubign that fits tightly in the hole of your fermenter will work. Just make sure that the other end is submerged in sanitizer.

https://www.google.com/search?q=blo...338,d.b2I&fp=b80caae167e0959&biw=1593&bih=906

You can simply go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get 1.25 inch OD vinyl tubing and it works like a charm for a low cost. It serves the exact same purpose as an airlock.

I did not know what they were either until I found the info on this website. Let me tell you it saved me a huge cleanup and heartache with my latest batch. After only about 12 hours, i had foam pouring out of the tube into my pitcher. If I only had an airlock, no doubt it would have exploded. And I was using a 6.5 gallon carboy which has never even come close to being a problem before. Now, I doubt I will ever use an airlock again for my primary.

I rigged uo a long piece of 3/8" tubing from lowe's/home depot with the tip of an old "S" type airlock to fit it in the airlock grommet on the fermenter lid.
Then into a 1/2G plastic vodka jug 1/3 full of water & a splash of starsan. Dremels can be usefull in the brewery...

Has anyone ever had a plastic 6.5 bucket blow off? I got a double IPA in there right now it's been in active fermentation for,like a week and am pretty scared im going to come one day to it overflowing

Actually, the IIPA I brewed last week was in a 6.5 bucket....Came home 24 hours after pitching yeast and the top was bubbled out, the bottom was bowed as well so the whole bucket tipped back and fourth. When I touched the airlock, it flew out and hit the ceiling with krausen all around it. I've been using the spare bedroom (which is going to be a nursery in a couple months), so needless to say, SWMBO wasn't exactly happy with me. On the upside, she gave me the go-ahead to build a fermentation chamber!

steeldrummerj said:
Actually, the IIPA I brewed last week was in a 6.5 bucket....Came home 24 hours after pitching yeast and the top was bubbled out, the bottom was bowed as well so the whole bucket tipped back and fourth. When I touched the airlock, it flew out and hit the ceiling with krausen all around it. I've been using the spare bedroom (which is going to be a nursery in a couple months), so needless to say, SWMBO wasn't exactly happy with me. On the upside, she gave me the go-ahead to build a fermentation chamber!

So that's how I get approval for a fermentation chamber. (Nixing the blow off valve, check)

Latest posts

Back