Expired dry yeast - Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone have a source that discusses starters with dry yeast. Not text from “Yeast”, but actual studies they are referring to? If following pitch calculators, I can’t see how buying multiple packs of dry yeast makes economical sense. Sure there is a convenience factor. I have always made starters, dry or liquid, and have never started with more than 1 pack.

I am making a 10 gallon batch, 11.5 gallons in the fermenter, 1.056 OG Pilsner. Brew father says 6 packs of yeast. 34/70 is $7 per pack. Is anyone really buying this much dry yeast?

Last edited:
I don't make starters with dry yeast, but I proof them in warm water (sometimes with GoFerm) Then I add a bit of wort or must to the yeast to equalize the temperature and osmotic pressure a little before I dump the proofed yeast into the fermenter.

I have some *really* old packets of yeast in the fridge. The original Edme dry yeast, and some Red Star Flor Sherry yeast. If I were to try to use them, I probably would make a starter. :D

I am going to brew a 5 gallon batch of Kolsch but my dry yeast is expired. Due to my location it could take 2 - 4 weeks to get new packets of yeast. I currently have 2 packets of LalBrew Premium Series Kolsch Style Ale Yeast by Lallemand that expired October 2021. I will be using yeast nutrient. The way I see it is that I have 3 options:
1) Pitch 1 packet 2) Pitch 2 packets or 3) Make a yeast starter from 1 packet (stir plate).
I am learning towards making a yeast starter but wanted to see what others thought or possibly other options I have not thought of. Thanks for any advice.
If you can find cans of Perfect Pitch, that stuff is amazing.
I just sanitize a growler, add the perfect pitch, contents of yeast packet and a 16oz bottle of water.
Cover loosely with foil and give it a swirl every time you walk by for up to 3 days. I pour off most of the spent wort and just use the yeast on the bottom. Works great for older yeast, strong beers, or any beer for that matter.

Do your own empirical study. It's going to reflect what works best for you. I'm currently ageing a few packs of Diamond Lager dry yeast, from the same batch ordered from one reseller. I'd have done the same for 34/70, to confirm the claims, but it ain't cheap. If Fermentis (or any other primary supplier) want their claims confirmed independently, I'm waiting in my yeast lab 😁. To be honest, in terms what dry brewer's yeast I have sourced locally (in Norway or shipped to Norway from the UK and Germany), I'm really not that impressed.

If you make a starter with dry yeast, don't bother oxygenating the starter wort. But do oxygenate the FV wort. You know this already. It's just a reminder.

Back