Experience with Honey Malt in Pale Ales?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrojanAnteater

Reaction score
I recently brewed an IPA using honey malt. Background, the last decade of my life has consisted of drinking dry, light, hoppy as hell So-Cal IPA's from Pizza Port, Alpine, Societe, Ballast etc etc. So those are what my favorite types of beers are. The reason I used honey malt is because Beachwood Brewery, IMO the best brewery in all of Southern California, uses a "kiss" of honey malt in some of their IPA's..... so I wanted to emulate that.

The recipe was:

86% 2-Row
5% Cara-Pils
5% Munich (Light, 8-10L)
4% Honey Malt (25L)

Hops: (6.5 oz total for 2.5 gallon batch)

60 Min - Magnum (38 IBU)
10 Min - Mix Centennial/Simcoe/Citra
5 Min - Same mix of Centennial/Simcoe/Citra
Steep/Whirlpool for 15 min - Amarillo/Centennial/Simcoe/Citra
Dry hop - 2 oz total Amarillo/Simcoe/Citra

Total IBU 101
Mashed at 152-153
OG: 1.060
FG: 1.010-1.012
Yeast: SD Super Yeast

The first taste is cloying sweet, reminding me of the many east coast DIPAs I drank in the mid 2000's. Lots of hop flavors of course, but that sweetness is yuck. CLOYING

Does anyone have experience with Honey Malt? I'm thinking I needed 1-2% max. Also, I'm sampling this after only 1 week of bottle conditioning/carbonating... i know, super early, but I wanted to see how those hops were tasting. This is hopped at a higher rate than the Pliny the Elder clones, is there a chance the hop oils are lending a certain short-lived sweetness to it? Or is 5% too much honey malt to make a dry, hop forward IPA?
:mug:

Different strokes for different folks. I love a little homey malt in my pa our ipa beers. I often use 0.5 lbs in 5 gallon batches and 1 lb in ten gallon batches. To be it it just enough sweetness to balance the hops. I'd gabe to look at my notes and see what percentages mine come out to....

Looks like I used 5% 10 gallon batch of the pale ale I have dry hopping now. It's a modified version of an IPA I've made many times....It's quite nice.

Mash a bit cooler and you should be able to get it to lower under 1.010
That would help with the sweetness a little.
147-150 ish territory.
Mash a bit longer as well.
-cheers

I still think this is a relevant thread. Cloying is something that is so sweet it causes nausea. Most use it to describe a dominance of sweet flavors that overpower any other flavors. I'm doing a honey grapefruit pale ale with those new Azacca hops and fresh grapefruit peel to up the flavor. I'm thinking 8% honey malt to the grist should make it stand out but not overpower the grapefruit. I want both flavors to be very upfront, any thoughts?

Back