can I make a starter with liquid malt extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vera

Reaction score
Just wondering if this is possible. I don't see why not, but I don't ever see it mentioned anywhere.

Also there are usually less ferment able malts in LME so you are not really getting the healthiest use of your starter for growing yeast

i keep 1/2 pound ziplocs of LME in my freezer for this purpose. it works fine. when you're portioning from a large amount, heat up the LME so it flows, put a ziploc freezer bag inside a coffee cup, pour from the big container into the bag-lined cup until your scale is at 1/2 pound. you can easily create starter portions with no mess whatsoever.

I think it would work just like DME. The nice thing about DME is it stores better, so you can leave a bag around for 6 months if sealed up properly.

Also there are usually less ferment able malts in LME so you are not really getting the healthiest use of your starter for growing yeast
the difference between DME and LME is that LME has water content.

How about using Mr. Beer booster? I've got some that I definitely won't be using for anything else.

Can you please clarify this? I thought it would have the same as dried.

Can you please clarify this? I thought it would have the same as dried.

Pretty sure he didnt mean to say that, but you are correct. Use them both for starters.
LME and DME are the best things you should use for your starter because your beer thats its getting pitched into will an almost identical environment as the starter.

Cheers!

Back