Need some help with a gift

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Punity

Reaction score
Helllo ive got a buddy that is getting married in Aug and im already making a cider to enjoy at his wedding but last night i was thinking that it would be awesome to make him and his wife a Mead that they could enjoy on their 5 year anniversary.

Now i know little of mead but i was hoping there would be a recipe that could be aged for that long. Any suggestions will be considered hes a homebrewer as well and has an expanded palate so nothings to wierd haha.

I did this with edworts apfeilwine bottled 2 nights before there wedding made up a label talking about it told them not to drink it till there 1 year. But yours is cooler cause its mead. You could do a burnt mead call it burning love:D

Seriously, Mead takes at least 6-8 months to age. Preferably a year. My suggestion is to find a brewer that has some and is willing to give it up for a small (Ahem) Donation or favor as selling alcohol without a liscence is illegial but if you promise to help the fellow brewer brew the next batch then that should be ok. Trading physical labor for a gift is ok.

If you are truely set on it, I recomend you do a JAOM style mead with bread yeast and you agitate it daily for a couple of weeks, then hit it with some serious stablizer and maybe back sweeten it. Then hit it with a clairifying agent such as sparkloid. You MIGHT be done and clear for bottling by August. It will still be very young and will be a hydromel, technically at less than 10% ABV. But this is the only way that I can think of getting it done in time. This isn't beer. This is Mead and Mead takes time.

Sorry.

Matrix

Seriously, Mead takes at least 6-8 months to age. Preferably a year. My suggestion is to find a brewer that has some and is willing to give it up for a small (Ahem) Donation or favor as selling alcohol without a liscence is illegial but if you promise to help the fellow brewer brew the next batch then that should be ok. Trading physical labor for a gift is ok.

If you are truely set on it, I recomend you do a JAOM style mead with bread yeast and you agitate it daily for a couple of weeks, then hit it with some serious stablizer and maybe back sweeten it. Then hit it with a clairifying agent such as sparkloid. You MIGHT be done and clear for bottling by August. It will still be very young and will be a hydromel, technically at less than 10% ABV. But this is the only way that I can think of getting it done in time. This isn't beer. This is Mead and Mead takes time.

Sorry.

Matrix

Oh yea it doesn't have to be ready for them right on their wedding day just something I wanted to give them to commemorate the occasion.

Like I said not needing to be in the bottle by August just something to commemorate the year of the occasion.

Well i'd say a simple mead recipe would keep 6 years max. Honey lasts indefinitely and I mean forever preppers bye the stuff 100 pounds at a time. Just make sure the temps stay constant through out aging and use 5 year corks when you bottle. It should be good.

Cool that's all I needed to know thanks for the infom

I recently made JAOM ,but used lemon instead of orange. I made it on 4/20/13 and it was super clear fast and I bottled three days ago.

I have a small bottle to drink( it taste good already) but kept the rest to age. If you start now, it should be ready by the wedding and will make a tasty treat for their year anniversary!

I recently made JAOM ,but used lemon instead of orange. I made it on 4/20/13 and it was super clear fast and I bottled three days ago.

I have a small bottle to drink( it taste good already) but kept the rest to age. If you start now, it should be ready by the wedding and will make a tasty treat for their year anniversary!

Is that a recipie I can find on here?

yes here it is if you want to do it, but if you've made wine you could easily make an awesome mead better than this one but its up to you

Back