Fearing the dreaded bottle bomb.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mforsman

Reaction score
Hey All,

I was doing a big push to stock up on my favorites before being stuck with saisons all summer and just bottled the last "bottle batch"

I used a carb calculator to determine the priming sugar (This one) and since the weather is in the 80's now and will be in the 80's+ the rest of the week it recommended 5.5oz. It seemed a little high but it's worked well in the past for me. All 22oz bottles.

Should I be worried about bottle bombs because of how much priming sugar I used + the rapid carbonation from warm weather (see this post in a previous warm weather discussion)?

Thanks,
MDF

I usually use about 4 ounces as my base (go higher or lower from there, based on style), but I don't think 5.5 should give you cause for concern regarding bottle bombs. As for the temps at which you bottle condition, I don't think that will impact it - all of the priming sugar will get eaten up by the yeast, whether you are conditioning at 70F or 85F.

I am wondering if you are confusing the residual CO2 in solution based on temperature with storage temperature similar to this (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/temp-affects-sugar-amount-390064/) and other threads that are very common.

Just checking to make sure you are using the highest temperature the beer ever saw during fermentation, or realistically late in fermentation as CO2 production was tailing off and off-gassing was keeping up. If that temp never exceeded say 70 deg F up to and until bottling, the fact that the bottled beers get to 80 or even 90 degrees has no bearing on the carb level that will be in the beer once it is DONE conditioning and you chill it down prior to opening for consumption.

As far as bottle bombs, if it was a full 5 gal, you should be fine. Might be a bit over-carbed but that can be counter-acted by chilling down a bit more and let it sit in the glass for a bit before a first sip. That can take some will power, I know, but it helps to reduce foaming and "dumping" of all the CO2 in soln when pouring. Make sure your glass is as close as possible to the same temp as the beer, and give a quick rinse with cold water just before pouring.

You're probably fine. I think that when it comes to bottle bombs, your FG is going to come into play more than the ambient temp. If you have a beer that is supposed to finish out at 1.010 and you bottled at 1.020, you're going to have a problem.

Thanks Everyone. I had a feeling i'd be alright but I never fully understood the temperature question they ask. I'll be better informed in the future! Happy brewing this weekend.

Back