EvaBarrier Jockey Box?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fragged

Reaction score
Title pretty much says it. Anyone tried this?

Reasoning pretty much comes down to cost, even 39ft x2 is cheaper than 50 foot of SS coil or a plate chiller.

Do you mean to use coiled up plastic tubing instead of a stainless coil? I'm pretty sure the heat/cold transfer would not keep up unless it's a l-o-n-g- time between pours.

Interesting idea. I do not recall anyone ever actually implementing a "plastic chiller" though there has been discussions over the years. The issue is always the same: thermal conductivity. But if I was going to give it a try I'd opt for the 6mm ID version in the hope the length could be enough for the thermal resistance to be overcome in time to deliver consistently cold pours. Trying that with their 4mm ID line might be frustratingly slow at the length it'll likely take to get the beer cold :)

Cheers!

Do you mean to use coiled up plastic tubing instead of a stainless coil? I'm pretty sure the heat/cold transfer would not keep up unless it's a l-o-n-g- time between pours.
Yep, use evabarrier in place of stainless. The thermals are exactly what I'm wondering about. I'd never consider it with standard bev line, but I just moved to Evabarrier and after playing with it it seems thinner.

Interesting idea. I do not recall anyone ever actually implementing a "plastic chiller" though there has been discussions over the years. The issue is always the same: thermal conductivity. But if I was going to give it a try I'd opt for the 6mm ID version in the hope the length could be enough for the thermal resistance to be overcome in time to deliver consistently cold pours. Trying that with their 4mm ID line might be frustratingly slow at the length it'll likely take to get the beer cold :)

Cheers!
Lol, agreed. The 4mm would probably work better for thermals, but man would those pours be slow, like set a timer slow I think. 6mm is what I was thinking $50 for 78 feet makes a pretty cheap jockeybox. It would be rigged up right now with water in a keg if I had some...

If it was just plastic, I actually think a long enough length would work fine. However the Evabarrier has that inner liner. If it is more like plastic in thermal properties, might work well, but if it is more like silicone, then not so great.

Latest posts

Back