Bittering hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewdrew2

Reaction score
I bought an extract kit from midwest supplies called red ryepa. The directions call for the following hop additions:
.5 oz Columbus (60 min)
.5 oz Columbus/ .5 oz centennial (40 min)
.5 oz Columbus / .5 oz centennial (50 min)
.5 oz Columbus / .5 oz centennial (55) min)

Does this seem a little light on the bittering hops?
This is only my 4th brew but all the others have had 1 oz for 60 min. Thanks for the help.

???? there all bittering hop additions 2oz of hops in the first 20 min of boil

Looks like the same question you posted before? Centennial are a high alpha acid hop, so follow the schedule of 60, 20, 10, and 5 min additions I posted a link for earlier and you will get the intended IBU's.

ya, sorry it is the first addition was for 60 minutes and the second was for the last 20 minutes, then 10 and 5. I thought I cancelled this post before it posted and posted another with the right times. I guess they both posted. Just saw it this morning. Had a few too many last night I guess.

That actually looks really good both for flavor and bittering for an IPA. I get 73 IBUs when I plug that into Beersmith, so you should get between 65-75 which is just right.

Back